Light-O-Rama Forums

Using the PC serial port

Guest guest

Using the PC serial port implies some baud rate is used. To 99.5% of the world, no one cares what it is or if it is adjustable.

Why would I care? I will soon aquire some more obsolete equipment for possible use in the display. This time it's a set of 900mz wireless point to multipoint modems. They may max out at either 19.2 or 38.4K baud. Might do 56K. I'm wondering if these can be used to get the RS232 outside without running a cable or if 38.4K is too slow.

PC --> master unit <--- inside ///// outside ----> slave unit ---> 232 - 485 converter plugged into slave unit ---> short piece of ethernet wire ---> (2) 16D's located in a traffic cabinet on the porch behind a big bush.

Yes, it's a wild thought I'll throw out for review. I know there is already a wireless option available thru LOR but the free--ness of these wireless modems at least warrants a thought.....

R

Thanks.

When I get these things, I'll see if they run reliably at 56K. If so, I'll set it up here in the basement and try running simple shows when the LOR units arrive.

I'm only looking at spanning a distance of 20 feet with these units.

Hobbes wrote:

Dan can correct me if I am wrong but I believe that LOR uses 57.6K for the baud rate. I assume that LORII will use the same.

Hobbes

Hobbes,

Yes 57.6 is the default speed for shows. The Hardware Utility runs at 19.2 you can set the show to run at 19.2, 57.6 or 115.4 in the Network Preferences in the Sequence Editor.