Light-O-Rama Forums

YouTube Heads Up

Scott Tuthill

I, like many this year, are uploading video's of our display's to YouTube for friends and family to view. I uploaded a video today based on Mannheim Steamroller's Carol of the Bells. It is probably my favorite sequence. It got blocked and rejected by YouTube's Copyright Police. I am not sure how they tied my video to Mannheim Steamroller. Nothing in the title or description called out Mannheim Steamroller. Maybe they are using technology like in the Shazam I-phone app.

So, be aware all you YouTube uploaders out there.

Personally I think this is dumb on Mannheim Steamroller's front. I introduce each sequence before it plays identifying the song and artist. Who knows, someone watching the display might hear it and say "Hey I like that I will go buy it".

Don't be dejected by this. It's just Youtube being Stupid. Try uploading it again and see what happens. I had 2 of my songs this year come up as copyright and I disputed it and never heard anything more.

Yet another reason to use VIMEO.

-Evan

I think that everyone should start to send e-mail and phone calls to the music groups like Mannheim Steamroller's. Let them know that this is a tribute to them and more people would buy their cd's creating more money for them. There is power to the people when you start voicing your opinion to the groups themselves. If they get thousands of e-mails about this and let them know we will not be buying anymore cd's from them censoring the you-tube videos. They might think twice about this crap. I say lets fight the good fight.

First of I agree, use Vimeo, it is much better quality and has some better perks.

Also I heard YouTube is getting sued so they are trying to cover there tails and make an effort to disallow some of this to show they are making an effort. Wether it is valid or not, it atleast shows they are making and effort.

About writing the music groups, I don't disagree, but I think it is a waste of time because they have bigger things to worry about then videos on YouTube so your efforts might be a waste of time.

Writing the artist will probably have no effect. The rights to this music is held by the copyright owner, and this is usually the publisher. For Mannheim Steamroller you can try:

JEWEL MUSIC PUBLISHING CO INC
630 9TH AVENUE
SUITE 1004
NEW YORK , NY, 10036
Tel. (212) 246-3333

But I doubt it will do any good.

your right, if it came from one or two people they wont care. Now if they got calls from thousands of people that would be a thorn in their side. I would hate to be the person on that phone number getting thousands of calls taking messages. Having their e-mail box full from everyone complaining about their policy's.