Light-O-Rama Forums

Integrating existing PLC system with LOR

Guest guest

Hello my name is Mike Bagwell I have a Christmas lighting system that currently runs on an industrial programmable logic controller or (PLC) of which I am using 132 channels to control solid state relays in control panels in the yard controlling around 55,000 lights. I like the features in the LOR demo software and the ability of the LOR controllers to fade channels. I am looking to purchase a LOR system and combine it with my existing PLC system with the solid-state outputs. I will be using the PLC system now to control animated figures in the yard such as a Toy factory that uses a lot of channels that do not need to dim.

Question 1: If you have 5 different shows in your computer can you trigger specific shows by dry contacts to inputs. Say Input 1 would trigger show 1, Input 2 to trigger Show 2, etc. If so do I use inputs on a CTB-16D or a DIO board in a computer.

Question 2: When I integrate the LOR system into my plc I will be using 1 channel of LOR to activate multiple channels of the PLC solid-state system. Example Channel 1 of LOR wired to activate input 1 of the PLC to start an angel fling using 10 solid-state channels of the PLC system. I am thinking it would be better to integrate a CTB-16D to trigger inputs to my PLC to trigger select animations than using the DIO boards that seem to be fading away in use, and maybe I could use the new MP3 card with the 32 extra I/O coming out in the near future. What does anyone recommend?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mike Bagwell

Mike Bagwell wrote:

Question 1: If you have 5 different shows in your computer can you trigger specific shows by dry contacts to inputs. Say Input 1 would trigger show 1, Input 2 to trigger Show 2, etc. If so do I use inputs on a CTB-16D or a DIO board in a computer.

The answer currently is no. Dan (owner/ceo of LOR) can correct me on this, but I believe in the future with the LORII software inputs will be accepted.

Mike Bagwell wrote:
Question 2: When I integrate the LOR system into my plc I will be using 1 channel of LOR to activate multiple channels of the PLC solid-state system. Example Channel 1 of LOR wired to activate input 1 of the PLC to start an angel fling using 10 solid-state channels of the PLC system. I am thinking it would be better to integrate a CTB-16D to trigger inputs to my PLC to trigger select animations than using the DIO boards that seem to be fading away in use, and maybe I could use the new MP3 card with the 32 extra I/O coming out in the near future. What does anyone recommend?

Recomend as to what? The type of card to use. Well if you are only going to use the CTB to trigger the PLC then just get the CTB-08 or CTB-16. Not the delux model, that is more power than you need to trigger the PLC. LOR of course outputs 120vAC when on at 100% so you may need to convert is to AC unless the inputs accept AC current.

BTW where did you get your PLC and how $$$.

Hello Mike I am using a Allen Bradley for the same purpose you are using a 16 channel LOR. As the newer units come out will upgrade to newer models to accept inputs from I/O for my PLC (15cardsof outputs with 16 channels each= 240 discrete outputs at 110v)My recommendation would be to wait for the new I/O (as it may have a few extra features yuo would like ) This my opinion and what Iam planning to do using the K.I.S.S. principle to my display. Will use four outputs from LOr to trigger various sequences in my PLC different combinations can give me at least 16 sequences in your plc

output 1 =inputs 1, output 2=inputs 2, output 3= inputs 3,output1 & 2 =inputs 5

outputs 1&3 = inputs 6

Brad Stevens wrote:

BTW where did you get your PLC and how $$$.

I am a controls designer/programmer working for an Engineering firm designs controls for industrial factories. I got very lucky one a project upgrade that a industrial plant gave me a used Allen-Bradley PLC 5/40E Processor as they changed to another type of PLC. The Processor value is around $8,000.00 you can find them on ebay much cheaper. Two years ago I got this and bought a 16 slot PLC I/O rack (which means it can hold 16 I/O cards) on ebay and bought Output cards in bundles for a cheaper price so I got other un-need cards. This extra cost for rack and cards was around $600 the card averaged around $25ea. But the price on ebay is much lower now if you can find that great deal. I then went to an office supply store and bought a two door office supply cabinet (3 foot 6 inches tall by 3 foot wide) put a sheet of plywood in the back an screwed the PLC rack to the back. Since then I have added another cabinet to the right of it for my power distribution management and other goodies. I put a top over both cabinets to make it like a workbench.

Regarding the CTB-16D I know that it is overkill for now but, I hope to upgrade to the new MP3 32-Channel LOR processor when it comes out in 3 quarter hopefully. I do know that the LOR controllers output 120Vac which would give me a signal delay but, I am thinking of connecting to the DC signal that turns on the triac and wire that signal to a dc input card on my PLC to trigger sequences. I know that dc signals are a lot faster than ac. Does this sound like a good idea.

For Clarification: I currently do not have any LOR except the demo software, which is really cool. The May sell will be my first purchase of LOR. I am very excited. I have been wanting to add music to my display and the LOR system seems like the answer.

Denis Chaput wrote:

Hello Mike I am using a Allen Bradley for the same purpose you are using a 16 channel LOR. As the newer units come out will upgrade to newer models to accept inputs from I/O for my PLC (15cardsof outputs with 16 channels each= 240 discrete outputs at 110v)My recommendation would be to wait for the new I/O (as it may have a few extra features yuo would like ) This my opinion and what Iam planning to do using the K.I.S.S. principle to my display. Will use four outputs from LOr to trigger various sequences in my PLC different combinations can give me at least 16 sequences in your plc

output 1 =inputs 1, output 2=inputs 2, output 3= inputs 3,output1 & 2 =inputs 5

outputs 1&3 = inputs 6

Denis Sounds like our PLC system are similar. I have (10) 16 channel DC output cards that control solid-state relays in control boxes in the the yard and (5) 8 channel AC output card that control my Mega tree directly, and (1) slot for an input card for which I have two types of DC and one type of AC.

Exactly what type of Allen-Bradley PLC system do you have? It sounds cool!

our plant upgraded to Allen/Bradley 500 family so they were disposing the old ones on trade-ins. I asked for IT guy who owes me if i can have one for home .So I acquired a16 slot PLC 5/15 processor but keeping my eye open for a bigger processor.So far I have five sequences programmed for a MEGA tree in combination with three 16 channel LOR boards that I will be purchasing this week.I also got a couple of 3 feetby 4 feet fiberglass electrical enclosures to house the PLC and one LOR unit in my shed. Now I'm negotiating at work for an old PC that has the PLC software loaded on it with a network card.We have a lot of used but good I/O cards at work not being used that I am storing for myself as they are being traded for upgraded.I will be using six /16 output channel card for my tree as I will have 21 strands of red 21 green and 21 blue.

Sounds likewe may have the same setup. Always keeping my eye open at work for good stuff as I am a Instrumentation Tech.at a mining mill.

What software are you after? 6200? We are in the process of replacing one of our 5/250's at work at present. Will be done over 3 winter shuts? My names down for the multi core (40 core) cable connecting IO racks to marshalling boxes. We have in excess of 1/4 million IO points in total - all Allen Bradley.

Mike Bagwell wrote:

Question 2: When I integrate the LOR system into my plc I will be using 1 channel of LOR to activate multiple channels of the PLC solid-state system. Example Channel 1 of LOR wired to activate input 1 of the PLC to start an angel fling using 10 solid-state channels of the PLC system.
Mike Bagwell

Greetings, Mike.

There are as many different ways to do things as there are people willing to try. Now I don't have a sophisticated PLC but only a series of hardwired animation controllers that are nothing more than event counters running a pre-determined sequence. My later controllers all have an enable input where a 3-12v. signal starts the sequence and continues repeating until brought low. Currently I tie this input high (1/2 supply volts) on things that run all the time.

I started doing this in hopes someday having a master brain to run all my little animation controllers. Right now, a traffic light controller dictates which sequences run. Green light east-west runs certain things and green light north-south runs others. Others, like the new snowman vs. Jack-in-the-box run all the time.

Getting to the point: I plan to add LOR to create moving effects on my red bud and maple trees. There will be a couple channels left over on the smaller maple's LOR unit. I wondered if these could be used to control other inputs..

What I plan to try:

I have many of these little 9v switching power packs. There are no transformers to worry about adding snubbers to the outputs, although I may add them anyway. It only takes 60v. to get a 9v. output into a 300 ohm load, so the channel could be used to control other things as well, including dimming. The 10 channel snowman scene also uses one of these 9v. packs but draws enough current to require at least 100v input, so it will need a dedicated channel if included.

Please let us know how this idea progresses. I am certainly interested.