New Command Feature

Dinosang

Here is an example for using the new command feature with LORII for those having trouble. I ran my show all night with no problems using this method.

I found it easier to make a new folder for just the RDS Data files in the root directory so the command line is not to long and easy to remember.

Use xcopy command

Example: "xcopy /y c:rdsdatadeck_the_hall.txt c:rdsdata rdsdata.txt"

The /Y command is so you will not have to confirm to overwrite the file every time.

Make a text file for each song with the text info. Use rdsdata.txt as the file that Airomate or any other RDS program uses for data. All you have to do after is change the first data file and when the command runs it will update the rdsdata.txt every time with new info. The RDS program will see the new changes and apply them.

Here's another way. (I originally posted this to the New S2 Release thread before I saw this one. Sorry about the duplicate.)

My shell command is this:

rds.bat Wizards in Winter - Trans Siberian Orchestra

And I created the following rds.bat file that I put in the Program FilesLight-O-Rama directory:

echo off
echo %* > "%HOMEPATH%My DocumentsLight-O-RamaNow Playing.txt"

My RDS software (Magic RDS from Pira.cz) is configured to monitor the "Now Playing.txt" file.

This has the advantage of not requiring a separate file for each sequence.

So now I have questions for the RDS users out there: What do you send? Do you separate the song from the artist (like I did, with a dash)? Do you include the album? (I think that's too much info for an 8-character window.) Do you use RT (Radio Text)? (Not displayed on all radios.)

Thanks for the RDS programming options. Just finished soldering my pira and will be connecting it to my FM25B in the next week. I've also got an FM30 but haven't figured out exactly where to tie in.

Steven wrote:

So now I have questions for the RDS users out there: What do you send? Do you separate the song from the artist (like I did, with a dash)? Do you include the album? (I think that's too much info for an 8-character window.) Do you use RT (Radio Text)? (Not displayed on all radios.)

I use Radio Text for Song and Artist as it has the ability to send more data. I do not use album info, as you stated I think that is more info than needed unless you are selling disks?? I use the PS Data for short things like My station Identification and times. If I use PS data for songs I will use some sort of short form. PSdata's 8 character limit sucks really made for Station ID (XMAS-92) but you are right a lot of radios will only show PSdata that is why a lot of radio stations use it to send song titles even though it was not ment for that. I guess it comes down to whats more important to you.

Example: Radio text: Wizards In Winter - Trans-Siberian Orchestra

PSData: Wizards In Winter TSO

Dinosang wrote:

Here is an example for using the new command feature with LORII for those having trouble. I ran my show all night with no problems using this method.

I found it easier to make a new folder for just the RDS Data files in the root directory so the command line is not to long and easy to remember.

Use xcopy command

Example: "xcopy /y c:rdsdatadeck_the_hall.txt c:rdsdata rdsdata.txt"

The /Y command is so you will not have to confirm to overwrite the file every time.

Make a text file for each song with the text info. Use rdsdata.txt as the file that Airomate or any other RDS program uses for data. All you have to do after is change the first data file and when the command runs it will update the rdsdata.txt every time with new info. The RDS program will see the new changes and apply them.

I have a couple of questions. When you say root directory, the root if which directory, just the drive? Would I just make a new folder RDS Data just under the hard drive anywhere?

Do I just put the text for each song info in both these files? Also how does it know the order or is there were S2 comes in. It will send that info letting the RDS now which is which?

Also do I need two txt files or one?

For example you have

rdsdatadeck_the_hall.txt

rdsdata.txt

Do I just put the text for each song info in both these files? Also how does it know the order or is there were S2 comes in. It will send that info letting the RDS now which is which?

Can you post an example text file that you used that we could use as a template or guide?

Texan78 wrote:

I have a couple of questions. When you say root directory, the root if which directory, just the drive? Would I just make a new folder RDS Data just under the hard drive anywhere?

Also do I need two txt files or one?

For example you have

rdsdatadeck_the_hall.txt

rdsdata.txt

Can you post an example text file that you used that we could use as a template or guide?

Okay first the root directory yes just C Drive( example c:rdsdata) You can use any folder you choose but for now use these settings ass the commands I gave will look for this folder. As for the update file for thre RDS encoder to use you do nothing to it your command from LORII updates that file for you using your text files with the info. This way it does not matter what order your show plays as every sequence will have its own text file with the info you want to display. I have attached a zip file that you can unzip into your C drive it will create a folder with 3 text files in it you will notice the files with song title have info in them and the rdsdata will be blank for now until you run a show it will have the latest song that was played in it. I included a file for Wizards in Winter and Thxintro

After you unzip the file start up LORII open your Wizards in winter sequence and copy and paste this line in the Windows Command

XCOPY /Y C:RDSDATAWizards_In_Winter.txt C:RDSDATARDSData.txt

Then save the changes. Repeat the process for your THXintro sequences using this command

XCOPY /Y C:RDSDATAthxintro.txt C:RDSDATARDSData.txt

Notice the only difference is the name of the song your have in your sequence do this for all your sequences and you can schedule your songs in any order or have 1 song or 10 songs your command will update the RDSdata.txt that your RDS program will get its info from. If you want spacing in between the song titles notice I used underscores for spaces in the file names this is because if you use just a space it will not work!! If at anytime you want to update any info for a song just open that text file and edit and save it. You can even do this as your show is play so when the song plays again your RDS ecoder will display any changes you made.

I am working on trying to automate the process to make this easier but this setup works with no problems as I have been running since I downloaded the new release.

Attached files rdsdata.zip

Ah that makes more sense now, you save the command with the file in S2. I was wondering how it would distinguish which was what.

Ok so I got that set up and it writes now to the RDS text file. Now how can I test this. Even if I don't have a sound card that supports the 192 freq, if I play this in S2 at the least would it show on the Airomate screen if it is working correctly?

Texan78 wrote:

Ah that makes more sense now, you save the command with the file in S2. I was wondering how it would distinguish which was what.

Ok so I got that set up and it writes now to the RDS text file. Now how can I test this. Even if I don't have a sound card that supports the 192 freq, if I play this in S2 at the least would it show on the Airomate screen if it is working correctly?

Yes it will display on the Airomate screen when you click the on button in Airomate. Airomates displays what your radio would display in real time so it should still be a good test to see if you have it setup right even if you can not get it to transmit it using a 192kHz sound card you will know your setup works.

Dinosang wrote:

Texan78 wrote:

Yes it will display on the Airomate screen when you click the on button in Airomate. Airomates displays what your radio would display in real time so it should still be a good test to see if you have it setup right even if you can not get it to transmit it using a 192kHz sound card you will know your setup works.

Ok well then it isn't set up correctly then...LoL

It still shows the default RT when a sequence is played.

Is there a setting that I need to set in Airomate so it sees that folder?

Wow this all seems really cool but, what is it? It sends out the name of the song and artist out via the FM? Do you need a special FM Transmitter for this to work? Or does this work on all FM Transmitters?

I plan on upgrading to a better FM Transmitter in the New Year so this may be a fun function to have...
Cheers
Evan

NWSanta wrote:

Wow this all seems really cool but, what is it? It sends out the name of the song and artist out via the FM? Do you need a special FM Transmitter for this to work? Or does this work on all FM Transmitters?

I plan on upgrading to a better FM Transmitter in the New Year so this may be a fun function to have...
Cheers
Evan

In so many words yes. It sends the text of the song and artist to a radio that is RDS enabled. The text can be whatever you put in the rds txt file for that song that you save via a shell command for that sequence.

You have the option to send RT 2A which is 64 characters or 2B which is 32 characters. Most radios are only able to show 8 characters but others will scroll the text if it is more. When music is not playing you can have a default text display with your display name or info text like display hours etc.

With this software that we are talking about Airomate, you don't need any special transmitter. You just need a sound card that has a sample rate of 192 KHz.

Pretty easy solution for broadcasting RDS without having to mod a transmitter. Hopefully Ramsey or someone will release a RDS encoder in there transmitters soon. Then everything will be plug in play without any kind of speical sound card.

Texan78 wrote:

Ok well then it isn't set up correctly then...LoL

It still shows the default RT when a sequence is played.

Is there a setting that I need to set in Airomate so it sees that folder?

Yes go into the Airomate setup under the RDS section do not use the default click Browse and select the RDSdata.txt file.

With this software that we are talking about Airomate, you don't need any special transmitter. You just need a sound card that has a sample rate of 192 KHz.

I thought I had seen somewhere that the Ramsey would not work, or is it just for the RDS encoder hardware just has to be installed specially?

jstein wrote:

I thought I had seen somewhere that the Ramsey would not work, or is it just for the RDS encoder hardware just has to be installed specially?

If you are using a pira RDS encoder then you need to do mod to the ramsey to get it to work. With Airomate the encoder is your soundcard so it will work with any transmitter.

Dinosang,
Since I am using the demo it won't let me select RT from a file. I don't see what the point of having a demo if they are not going to let you take advanatages of the main features.

Also, for some reason it only detects my line in. If I change the mixer to detect the recording from the AUX or Stereo I get this horrible tone.

Don't think it matters much since I can't test this....

Texan78 wrote:

With Airomate the encoder is your soundcard so it will work with any transmitter.

The RDS signal is at 57kHz (that's why you need a 192kHz sound card). This high frequency is filtered by the audio input circuitry of some FM transmitters, so it won't work with any transmitter.

Steven wrote:

Texan78 wrote:
With Airomate the encoder is your soundcard so it will work with any transmitter.

The RDS signal is at 57kHz (that's why you need a 192kHz sound card). This high frequency is filtered by the audio input circuitry of some FM transmitters, so it won't work with any transmitter.

The RDS signal can be adjusted in the settings within Airomate. So yes it can work with any transmitter as they claim it can on there site. It has been tested with Ramsey and EDM with no problems. So which transmitter will it not work with?

Steven wrote:

Texan78 wrote:

Do you know if it will work with a Ramsey?

Texan78 wrote:

The RDS signal can be adjusted in the settings within Airomate. So yes it can work with any transmitter as they claim it can on there site. It has been tested with Ramsey and EDM with no problems. So which transmitter will it not work with?

In the Airomate forum, Arjen, an Airomate tech support rep (and developer?) says:
Yes, you can connect your 192kHz soundcard directly on the input of your transmitter. The input of your transmitter doesn't need to be special input. The only thing that matters is that the input doesn't contain a MPX filter. But most transmitters don't have a MPX filter built-in.

So, it will work with most transmitters.

It still amazes me that passing a 57kHz signal through a circuit designed for an 0-19kHz audio signal actually works. But apparently it does.

fire_paramedic

Thanks for posting this i have it working, it changes for each song and for spots i have during the show, although my stupid sound card doesnt seem to support that 192 range. so i have ordered one to try that was on there list.

Found these http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=241212V

Hopefully it will work for the price and versus trying to go into my FM30 and try to mod it to accept a rds encoder right now. Im with a bunch of other hoping ramsey will come up with something.

Thanks Dinosang : )

edit: for my bad typing : )

Steven wrote:

It still amazes me that passing a 57kHz signal through a circuit designed for an 0-19kHz audio signal actually works. But apparently it does.

That amazes me, too, Steven! I would expect the front end of many transmitters (or, any transmitter with tone controls) to act as a low pass filter, severely attenuating the 57kHz signal to the point it would be useless. I certainly can't explain how they're getting away with it. But, like you said, apparently they are.

So, it will work with most transmitters.

You let me know when you find one it doesn't work with....

Yea, imagine that....

Tex

You let me know when you find one it doesn't work with....

Doing a little Google search found this transmitter, although it's a moot point because it can be ordered with an optional RDS encoder already installed!

Does anyone know how to check the sampling rate of a soundcard on windows vista?