Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC vs. LOR1602W

cm11599ps

Here is a chart.

http://lightorama.com/Documents/AC_ControllerMatrix.pdf

The W is a UL approved controller that is capable of stand-a-lone operation. It comes in a nice metal case and has a power button.

The PC is not UL approved, less expensive and has to be run via a PC or another board.

Functionality wise the PC and W are pretty much identical.

The W can be upgraded to 40A capacity, but the PC is cheaper on $ per amp controlled basis... The W comes with nice labels on the outlet dongles, and outlet dongles that are easier to plug into when cold.. The PC is a very nice compact unit in a good plastic case... I have 9 of them at home, and the volunteer show I work with has 31 of the PC units, and 2 of the W's, because we could get them locally on short notice... I'll be sticking with the PC units..

- Kevin

Jeff Millard wrote:

I just wish I could find an inexpensive alternative to the cases for the boards I already have...

Jeff

Try here. $8 each if you buy 5 or more

Jeff 1S.A.H.D. wrote:

Push Eject wrote:
Those Ritetime sprinkler boxes were nice while they lasted...

what do u mean

They're very hard to find now.

Ok, so then I'll probably opt for the PC versions. Next questions......

I was thinking of starting off with around 60 channels. I was looking at the PC units that come fully assembled and run about $250.

I could also get the kit for around $205 (no soldering). For about the price of getting 4 assembled boxes I could get 5 kit boxes and an additional 16 channels.

I have ZERO experience in electronics or soldering but the kit box says you only need a scewdriver and pliers which I'm sure I can handle. I wasn't looking at the cheapest kits because I have no experience.

I am handy in fixing things around the house so I rally don't fear a screwdriver and pliers but is soldering such a big deal? Should I opt for the even cheaper kits?

The kits are easy to put together. There are 16 dongles and 1 or 2 power cords. There are three wires in each cord. One is ground and goes over a bolt. The rest are terminated with lug connectors. Just a matter of pushing them on. It's a little more difficult than that but after the first one, they go together very fast.