Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Contest

Guest Guest

Guest wbottomley

This question maybe specifically for Dan but chime in with your thoughts too.

The YouTube part of the contest.

I dumped my YouTube account because of the copyright issues myself and others are having.

I turned to Vimeo and all is well now.

Would this be something LOR wants to expand on so other sources of video can be included?

How does one know if YouTube bumps a video? I uploaded some last night and today I see one is missing, but I haven't received any notice from them of which I'm aware.

George Simmons wrote:

How does one know if YouTube bumps a video? I uploaded some last night and today I see one is missing, but I haven't received any notice from them of which I'm aware.

You will know if the block one of your videos because they will send you a email.

I have found out that they have bot that keys in on tags and certain key words. I am not sure how it sorts these and I have seen it is bans some, but not others videos.

Something to take into account. I personally prefer Vimeo better myself. Much better quality.

Thanks for the info. I guess mine will be left alone for a while since I didn't feel like screwing around with keywords and tags and such - all I wanted to do was get the videos loaded somewhere that I could send people to see them. I'll check out Vimeo too, for I must admit the quality of the videos on YouTube is disappointing compared to the originals that were uploaded.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wbottomley

Cajun Cheesehead wrote:

Anyone have any suggestions on e-mailing a video? My video file is 28 meg, but all of my e-mail accounts have a limit of 10 meg.

Upload it to a video website... vimeo, youtube, or to your personal webserver.

Guest wbottomley

LightORamaDan wrote:

We will include other video sites next year...

You can submit multiple video entries in the traditional contest.

dan

That pretty much leaves me hosed.

I just had two more removed.

So much for YouTube.

I'm 100% Vimeo now.

EDIT: Just deleted my account.

• 3 weeks later...

Two things:

One: I disputed a video, and the video is not watchable. I suspect it will still be removed at a later date.

Two: Has anyone tried to to some naration over the video to make youtube miss the signature?

Don

The contest page states that there is only 1 entry per person allowed in Contest #1 though? Is that not the traditional contest?

LightORamaDan wrote:

We will include other video sites next year...

dan

mcorbo wrote:

The contest page states that there is only 1 entry per person allowed in Contest #1 though? Is that not the traditional contest?

LightORamaDan wrote:

dan

Interesting, I didn’t read that far down in the rules. If you look at the videos of last years entries you can see multiple submissions.

Based on Dan’s comment I sent a second video in. I labeled the email “second entry”, referenced Dan’s comment, and indicated that it could be deleted if the limit was actually one entry.

I also thought the contest was one entry per person as stated below, I copied it.

One entry per person with contest *1. Multiple entries allowed in Contest #2.

I sent in my entry, but I forgot to put my note with my channel count and other info! I hope someone there helps me with the information! ME SO DUMB!

I have been having trouble uploading to youtube. I have been trying to get everything on there, but I have not sucessfully uploaded a video for a week. I started to load videos and none of them went through! I had 10 videos set to go! I'm still trying.

Jeff Millard wrote:

William,

In this thread someone claims they disputed the removal as a not-for-profit christmas display, and YouTube is no longer blocking their videos. IDK if it works or not, but I think it's worth a try just to get your videos in the contest...

Jeff

So far both of the movies that I uploaded that I uploaded and then disputed are still up and it has been a few weeks I believe that they have been up.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Listed below is what YouTube says about Invalid and Valid reasons for disputing a claim if your Videos have been blocked.

I have had all my Trans-Siberian Orchestra Videos and a few others Blocked by YouTube:(. I Entered 20 Videos:shock: in the YouTube contest and now I think you can only view 11 of mine:(. We all worked very hard and put in long hours on those sequences, it just seems unfair that they Blocked them:X. I hope Dan will keep us informed about other ways to submit our videos for 2009:cool:.

Scrubs63

Learn more about the dispute process

Pay attention: this is really important.

There are very few valid reasons for disputing a claim. Please review the information below, because submitting an invalid dispute could result in penalties against your account.

Invalid reasons to dispute a claim

• I own the CD / DVD or bought the song online.
    Buying a song, CD, DVD, or other piece of media doesn't give you authorization to post that content on YouTube. The content owner still has the right to choose where it is distributed.

• The content was only a part of my video.
    In almost all cases, you need written permission from the content owner to use even part of their work in your video. Learn more about Copyright.

• There are other videos on YouTube with the same content. Why can't I use it too?
    Copyright is all about the owner's right to decide who can use their content. Someone else's use doesn't give you permission.

• I gave credit in the description. Isn't that enough?
    No. Giving credit does not give you authorization to upload the content.

• I'm not selling my video or trying to make money.
    Whether or not you benefit financially from using the content doesn't matter. Unless you have permission from the owner, it's not yours to use.

I still need more information. Take me to the YouTube Copyright Help Center.

Valid reasons to dispute a claim

• The content was misidentified.
    Your original content was misidentified; for example, your family picnic was mistakenly identified as a scene from The Godfather. Mistakes of this type are very rare but possible.

• You have the right to use the content online.
    You have written permission from the content owner to use the material on YouTube.

• Fair Use / Fair Dealing
    If you believe your use meets the legal requirements for exemption from copyright under appropriate law, you can dispute the claim. If you are unsure, you should seek legal counsel before submitting a dispute.

I have a valid reason to dispute this claim. Take me to the dispute form.

Jeff, I agree with everything you said. Everything that is, accept that bit about spending a bunch of money on 80s music :P I spent the 80s nursing the music from the 70s.

I have no trouble with an artist getting paid for their talents and efforts. But $18 for a piece of plastic stamped in China that they can't even bother to put in a real CD case is ridiculous. Somebody is making a ton of money, and it's not too many of the artists.

Many years ago we saw The Badlees at a local event. They played several songs that they had recorded for their first national release. They were upset because that release was not going to happen for more than a year. The members of the RIAA are worried about control, not about the artists.

I had all of my original lor show videos locked, Needless to say, I have also chosen to limit my use of youtube to near nothing if possible.

I like vimeo, but it wont allow me to embed hd videos without paying, I would pay but like others have said, im scared the media industry will ruin vimeo also.

Ive loved vimeo, (orginal vimeo beta tester here.) And hope they find a way to get around it.

I dont think Dan or light o rama could have seen this comming, youtube was the big cool thing to do and light o rama wanted to get it self plasterd all over one of the best free advertising sites ever, and who could blame them.

I have a webhost, but it wont allow me to use that much space or bandwidth. I guess I need to shell out the $$ and find an unlimited webhost. (yea I know some are 3.85 a month, but tbh Im used to FREE webhosting (x10 host)

Im extremly upset to see the media industry killing itself (yet again!) the internet in my opintion was a chance to get away from it all, and needless to say this just didnt happen.