Light-O-Rama Forums

cool fountain

Greg

Holy crap...LoL That has to be the coolest thing I have ever seen. Gaylord does something like that but it is with lights. That one actual does it by turning the water on and off at a fast pace from the top. WAY COOL!!!

They even did letters, whoever invented that has way to much time on there hands, but what do they care, they are probably rich now...LoL

Bet you could do a simple version with LOR

16 channels = 16 bits. Treat the sequence editor screen as a bitmap (Like ASCII art for us old timers) filling in the cells with the pattern you desire then let'er rip. Adjust your cell time vs rate of water fall. This would be semi crude but would work.

Sixteen 110vac water valves later and you should be well on your way with room to grow.

Those POV clocks with the display that looks like it is floating in the air (small arm that rotates with LEDs) work the same way. Bitmap pattern vs distance / time travelled. LOR is by no means fast enough for this example.

Food for thought

BTW, I thought about this for a summer project in the "LOR off season" but the wife shot me down.

Greg wrote:

way too complicated for me but I am sure some of the genius's around here could figure out a way to do it

Yup, way too time consuming and expensive for me to put my time into it. But hey, it is a really cool fountain for sure. And yup, that would be pretty easy to do with LOR if you got the time and money.

Yup, just like Richard said,

Only takes thought, time and money.

I do love that fountain.

How about a miniature version that tells time?

I can simplfy this !!!! ok lets see .... carry the 1.... and ... show = t/d

Actually here is the concept for the timing: turn your monitor sideways so the channels are up at the top and program your show you can make it look like a scrooling marqee from the top

you can get fast acting 110 silenoids to operate water valves real reasonable. just cant do this where the temps dip below freezing

After reading some of these post it probably wouldn't be all that hard to do. You could use these in colder climates too. Most likely you are going to recycle the water. So at the bottom of the pool where the water is falling into you are going to pump out of as well. If you just get a couple of waterbed heaters and place on the bottom you could keep the temps above freezing. Also moving water takes a lot longer to freeze. I have an idea for a design that could work. I won't build one, I don't have a spot, nor the time, but it could be done.