Light-O-Rama Forums

House lights flicker

lleibeck

This year I added 4 leaping arches (incandescent) and about 50 strings of LED lights. We have noticed the inside house lights have a slight flicker. If I stop the show the flicker stops. Any thoughts?

L

Guest wbottomley

lleibeck wrote:

This year I added 4 leaping arches (incandescent) and about 50 strings of LED lights. We have noticed the inside house lights have a slight flicker. If I stop the show the flicker stops. Any thoughts?

L

My breaker panel humms the song I'm playing. :shock:

This is normal but don't load that circuit too much.

My entire house flickers with the music.

thanks, found another thread that covers this pretty close. The thing that surprises me is that the LED caused this.

L

lleibeck wrote:

L

You say the inside lights only have a slight flicker? Your problem can be easily solved by adding a bunch more lights. Then they will really be flashing to the beat, and, problem solved.

Welcome to the club.

;)

D.T.

One way to combat this problem is to go with a larger secondary service wire from your utility.

Say, if your utility is dropping you #4 Al wire from the transformer to your meter socket (typical 100A service here in Hawaii), maybe you should opt for 1/0 Al wire, which is what we use here for 200A service.

Or you can opt for 320A service, where they would use 4/0 Al.

*all of the above depends on the distance from the transformer to your meter socket. Also, if you opt for a higher service, your meter socket and meter will need to be able to handle this.

Stan