Light-O-Rama Forums

Electrician/electrical costs...

martymiller

Donald Puryear wrote:

Texan78 wrote:
Sweet that is good to know. Where I want to put it though is next to my main feed. My panel is in the back so I was going to put it next to it. Only problem I see is the two lines will rub because at the angle it comes at to the house from the pole it is already rubbing against a tree. One year it rubbed one leg off and they had to come out and fix it and wrap it from happening again. So I am not sure if having two lines that close together is going to cause problems or not. That is why I am weighting my different options.

Here in Maryland the power company will give you a 400 amp service. One meter, one service drop, two 200amp panels. This setup sounds like it would fit your needs.

Sounds exactly what I need... I did my loads for next year and I only need 5-8 more circuits to run about 70 more amps at full on. It will never draw that, but still need 2 plugs for each controller, but I can run both sides off one circuit. So I don't need as much as I thought.

I am sure Maryland is giving you a 200 amp main with a 200 amp sub since it is one drop and one meter. I was told you couldn't have more then 200 amp service overhead and 400 amp buried in residential. Still would be nice to have 200 amp dedicated to LOR...LoL

The short answer is yes. However, as usual, its more complicated than saying hey, I have 5 open slots that means I can add 5 20 amp. circuits. That would be 100 additional amps!. There is a fixed amount of service coming to your house. I believe electric code allows for your panel service to be greater than the 150 amps on the main breaker because you don't use all the power at the same time.

The closer the oulets are the panel, the cheaper. You could put outlets in your yard but they you are talking about burying condiut and the like.

I sub-panel might be your best bet. I would again suggest that you contact a qualified electrician in your area to help determine the best solution for your needs.

Texan78, there were several threads about heavying up your main feeds to the house on PC. It appears that some power companies will heavy up to meet your power needs for no additional cost (other than your power consumption) while others will do it for the cost of labor and materials to run new power mains.

Texan78 wrote:

Donald Puryear wrote:
Texan78 wrote:
Sweet that is good to know. Where I want to put it though is next to my main feed. My panel is in the back so I was going to put it next to it. Only problem I see is the two lines will rub because at the angle it comes at to the house from the pole it is already rubbing against a tree. One year it rubbed one leg off and they had to come out and fix it and wrap it from happening again. So I am not sure if having two lines that close together is going to cause problems or not. That is why I am weighting my different options.

Here in Maryland the power company will give you a 400 amp service. One meter, one service drop, two 200amp panels. This setup sounds like it would fit your needs.

Sounds exactly what I need... I did my loads for next year and I only need 5-8 more circuits to run about 70 more amps at full on. It will never draw that, but still need 2 plugs for each controller, but I can run both sides off one circuit. So I don't need as much as I thought.

I am sure Maryland is giving you a 200 amp main with a 200 amp sub since it is one drop and one meter. I was told you couldn't have more then 200 amp service overhead and 400 amp buried in residential. Still would be nice to have 200 amp dedicated to LOR...LoL

NO! Its a complete 400 amp service. I am electrician. On resadental services we set a 400 amp meter can, then run two tails to seperate 200amp main breaker panel sections.

iresq wrote:

The short answer is yes. However, as usual, its more complicated than saying hey, I have 5 open slots that means I can add 5 20 amp. circuits. That would be 100 additional amps!. There is a fixed amount of service coming to your house. I believe electric code allows for your panel service to be greater than the 150 amps on the main breaker because you don't use all the power at the same time.

The closer the oulets are the panel, the cheaper. You could put outlets in your yard but they you are talking about burying condiut and the like.

I sub-panel might be your best bet. I would again suggest that you contact a qualified electrician in your area to help determine the best solution for your needs.

This is true, while you might be able to add 5 new circuits, you can't draw more then your main service. So like he said, it is not as easy as just adding new circuits. So you need to keep that in mind. So for example lets so your house draws 80 amps at full load or on normal day to day living. Your total controller load at full on is 30 amps, which is possible if you only use LEDs or just minis which is possible. Not likely you will ever run full load unless you run all your lights at static, even if you do with 30 amps you would be good and could run 5 controllers on 5 circuits with both sides using the same circuit granted your load for each controller doesn't go over 20 amps if you are using 20 amp circuits. This is where figuring controller load comes into play. If you are just going to be using one controller you could get away with running it on one 20 amp circuit granted the load is under 20 amps. If you plan to expand though you will need to plan accordingly. At this point you don't need a sub, but if your show gets larger and you start to expand your load then you will need to branch off to a sub.

iresq wrote:
Texan78, there were several threads about heavying up your main feeds to the house on PC. It appears that some power companies will heavy up to meet your power needs for no additional cost (other than your power consumption) while others will do it for the cost of labor and materials to run new power mains.

Talking to some people around here about this last year and through out the year. I was told here we can only get as much as a 200 amp drop overhead and 400 amp buried if it is residental. Now I just learned that I have a 200 amp panel but only a 150 amp service. So it is possible I have a 200 amp drop, just only have a 150 service.

I did my loads for next year and I only need 5 more circuits. At full on it is only 65 amps extra but it will never be full on static. It will only draw 4-5 amps when static during breaks because I am not running all the lights. So I can get away with just adding 125 amp sub. That will leave me with a lot of extra room to expand if I need to.

Chris D. Brooks wrote:

I may be wrong, but you most likely have, for sure a 200 amp feed, but the main breaker is 150 amp?

I just talked to my local power company about my plans. They indeed confirmed what I said early about the service feeds. They did say though that some areas with older neighborhoods have 150 amp drops.

My drop is indeed a 200 amp drop though because 10 yrs ago we when did our remodel on this house they ran a new line. They were able to tell me this because all the service work is documented. Others in my area have 150 amps though.

So I have a 200 amp drop, my panel is 200 amp, but my service is only 150 amp. I think they kept it at 150 because that is what the old panel was that was installed in the house. When they put in the new panel they installed it in the back, where the old one was in a closet.

Here are some pictures of my panel and main...

Attached files 165286=9520-DSC01446.JPG

Texan78 wrote:

William, what is powering the 220 plug from your main? Do you have pictures of it? That was also an option I had was to use the same method you have as it would be nice to have something portable I can store away.

texan we had this thread back in march

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum81/16291.html

next year I'll be building one these thing.

That is funny you mention that. I heard the same thing that they will give you as much as you need. When I talked to them they didn't say I couldn't have more, but I also forgot to ask and that is one of the things that I wanted to ask. When I heard about them giving you as much as you want that is where one of my options of getting a separate drop came into play.

All they mentioned was they could only supply 200 amp drop overhead. That doesn't really mean that they can't give me more, probably means they can only give me 200 amps over per drop. I will have to call back and confirm that. My neighborhood is old though, like 40-45 yrs old. I am sure the newer neighborhoods actually do get 200 amps but they are buried. In my case I have an advantage because I can probably get an additional drop. Where if you get your service from a buried delivery you probably got what you got. I am not sure of the logistics of upgrading with a buried service, but most of them are already 200 amps. They did say if it was buried I could have up to 400 amps, but not sure how.

I think after a lot of research and reading I will go with the portable solution too. It was tops on my list of what I really wanted to do anyways. Probably just use a 125 amp sub but only supply it with 100 amps which is more then enough then I will need. I want to go larger in case I need to expand in the future I will be able to.

That's what I expected. Later, when you have the funds, have them change out your main to feed 200 amp.

I haven't bought LOR yet, but reading everones forums, I'm getting an ear full!

Wonderful stuff.

Chris brooks