Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller Smoking

mattruck1992

So i powered up my controller and i heard a buzzing noise so i disconnected it and took it inside and took off the cover plate and saw that between two of the 120 Volt traces on the left side the PCB is burnt and blackened. My question is what happened to cause this problem and do you guys think that this could be fixed by LOR or will i have to buy a new controller...

Please tell me i won't have to buy a new controller because I'm only 16 and have no extra money.

Thanks

Matt did you build this or was it assembled at LOR? I think you will be pleased to know unless you just royally screwed it up yourself that Dan will help you above and beyond.

Given your situation why not send Dan and email saying you will ship board overnight and include a check for overnight shipping for a replacement board. You never know what he might have on a shelf that he could get to you quick. At most you would be down 3-4 days.

Jeff Here is the picture of the damage i just don't know what happened but here it is will have more on the way "but something hit me its hard to take pictures of these boards in that they are so glossy"

Attached files 165418=9526-IMG_0890.JPG

And Robin it is the "16 channel Starter kit (the one with the software controller and converter) it was assembled at the factory and is in otherwise this in perfect condition except where I slipped putting on the front cover and scratched the front plate

Looking at it again, I have a feeble guess... It looks like the scorching is in an area between two channel out traces. Is it possible that one element was exposed to high voltage, and the voltage drained out through the adjacent channel? Maybe high voltage like the fringe of a lightning strike?

what are your loads on channels 6 and 7?

Wondering if you overloaded a trace but are under the 15A to pop the fuse

Also- check to see if there are any wires making contact between the two channels

Loads on those channels are 4 ropelight snowflakes (12 inch version) and it looks like nothing hit the contacts because the burning is only between the contacts and if something crossed them there would be a burn perpendicular to the traces

E-mailed the support team and they said that something could have happened during manufacture that would lead to the insulation break down and that could of caused the short and buzzing sound.

Another thing that i did not put in previous posts was that happened when i had lights connected and the lights went on i looked and said "sweet done 10 mins before showtime" then heard the buzzing and turned it off so it was still functioning when the buzzing happened but i don't know why it happened. And it couldn't be a bad cord because all the lights are on static with those two on the same power strip thing and nothing is happening.

Also I don't think that it would be high voltage because all other electronics work that are on that circuit (router and VOIP box) work perfectly fine and they have been there since we started with that controller

IT could have been caused by any number of things but most likely it was some type of contanimation on or embedeed in the card (that could have been there since manufacure) or a glitch in the copper traces that cause them to be too close which eventually lead to some oxidation (which is conductve) and leads to more oxidation....

We are replacing the controller.