LOR and Luminglass

espritsdefolie

espritsdefolie wrote:

Has anyone tried Luminglass with Light-O-Rama? If so, does it fade. shimmer, etc?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/362c/
^ Luminglass, was thinking about using them for Halloween next year, but want to know how well they cooperate before I buy :)

It appears this product has it's own built-in electronics controller. Maybe you could hack them if you had the product wiring diagrams, disabled/modified the internal circuits, then MAYBE it would be LOR controllable

No, I don't believe it will work. The input voltage for the controller is 12VDC(on the one I have anyway). Even if you tried to ramp the input voltage with a CMB-16, it doesn't appear you would achieve the desired effects as the "lightning" patterns are generated via a high frequency PWM supply inside the Luminglas controller. PWM supplies require a pretty stiff input voltage to operate correctly. ON/OFF commands may work OK, but likely not the fades or shimmers.

Check out some of the stuff here: http://lightenergystudio.com/plasma/luminglas/luminglas.html

if you like Luminglas. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I do have a Associate's Degree in Electronics Engineering.

I see they have a sound-responsive mode. We can use this.

How sensitive are they to sound. IE How do they act to low noises and loud noises.

This could let you use the fades, shimmer, etc... It depends on how the Luminglass acts to sound.

Why I ask, is you could maybe Use the LOR to Drive an OPTO-COUPLER to control the volume from a 555 noise generator to the Luminglass. Ant the gets a regulare power supply of 12vdc.

Please note an OPTO-COUPLER is basicly an LED light. Or we could make one from a incandescent and a cad cell.

Let me Know and i will help you design the electronics. I love to Hardwere Hack.

I do have a Associate's Degree in Electronics Engineering.

The sensitivity is adjustable via a dial(potentiometer) on the back of the unit. I could see your idea possibly making fades doable, but the response time of the sound circuit doesn't appear quick enough to do a shimmer effect. If I can manage to get the cover off of mine, I'll take a look at that circuit and see what is in there.

Ok,

Now that there is a response I will do a bit of Design work and post a beta schematic.

I, too am not sure about the shimmer effect.

I was thinking of useing:
A Op-Amp and OPTO-COUPLER to control the volume level.
A 555 as just a constant noise generator.
A few potentiometers and a Zener for tuning and a Zero point.

Thanks,

I think i am over thinking it.
My first thought was to use an OPTO-COUPLER to control the amplification of a Op-Amp)

Now, what i think could work is to use a TRANSFORMER to vary the voltage to a 555 Then use an Op-Amp to set the output Voltage range to what the Luminglass needs.

1 And 2 gives us a Variable power Supply
With 1, 2, and 3 gives us Variable volume level; that the LOR controls.

1: use a TRANSFORMER to step the 120Vac down to 12Vac

2: use a Rectifier and a small Electrolytic Capacitor (maybe 22 UF)

3: 555 for noise (say 300Hz @ 11Vdc) (Voltage Range of 4.5V~11V)

4: A op-amp to set the volume range. (5mV~12mV)

5: Voltage divider to remove the bottom end. (1mV~7.5mV range output)

6: Feed the Output to the Luminglass's Mic (I will bet is in the low Mili-Volt range)

I do not have a Luminglass, the numbers are Examples

All of this depends on how the Luminglass's sound-responsive mode works.

I think all the parts will cost $44.00 and then $10.00 Shipping

Attached files 168393=9694-LumiGlass LOR interface.jpg