Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencing with Show Running

Ralph A

Is it possible to have the show running, on the PC, and be working in the sequence editor at the same time?

Thanks Ralph

Yes, or, at least, sort of.

Only one thing can control lights at a time - the Show Player or the Sequence Editor, not both. The Hardware Utility counts, too, and I think the Simple Show Builder does too (it has to talk to the controllers in order to download standalone sequences).

The Show Player starts up every time that a show is supposed to begin, and shuts down every time that a show is supposed to end (even if another show is scheduled to start immediately thereafter - in that case, it will shut down, then start up).

If the Show Player tries to start, and something else is trying to control the lights, it will shut down, and not play the show.

If the Sequence Editor starts, and something else is trying to control the lights, it will simply not control the lights (and will warn you about this fact).

So, this should work, as long as you're willing to have the Sequence Editor not control the lights, and as long as you've started the Sequence Editor while a show is running (or if you've disabled "Control Lights" in the Sequence Editor). And you're not trying to use the Hardware Utility or, I think, the Simple Show Builder.

The Show Player starts up every time that a show is supposed to begin, and shuts down every time that a show is supposed to end (even if another show is scheduled to start immediately thereafter - in that case, it will shut down, then start up).

I'm sorry, that's totally wrong. I think I was thinking of Enable Shows / Disable Shows. The Show Player starts whenever "Enable Shows" is turned on, and doesn't stop until "Disable Shows" is set (or until LOR is unloaded).

The rest of what I said is basically right, though (errr... I think), as is what iresq said.

I'm not sure how practical this is, though -- your Sequence Editor audio would be mixed with your Show Player audio, and go out to your audience... Unless you have some sort of advanced dual-soundcard setup that I'm not familiar with ;)

Plus on my ancient show machine, you can hardly drag a window without causing the in-progress show to stutter...

-Tim

Yes, Tim - that's exactly the newbie mistake I made last Thursday. I had the show running and wanted to finish up a sequence so I could get it in the show. Sharon was outside watching and she came into the house asking why the audio was so weird. I guess I never realized up to that point that the transmitter broadcasts anything/everything that goes through the sound card - including the sounds of playing Solitaire. The good news is that this also enables you to broadcast live announcements any time you want to during the show simply by plugging a microphone into the PC. (Just remember to unplug the mic when you're through) Learning more every day and loving it...

George

What if you edited on one computer and then copied it to the computer running the show? Would the newer version play next time up or would this cause an error because the file changed?

Brian

Interesting question. As I understand it, the show editor just links back to the actual sequence. So if you changed the sequence prior to the show calling it up, it should work.

What if you edited on one computer and then copied it to the computer running the show? Would the newer version play next time up or would this cause an error because the file changed?

No, the Show Player only loads a sequence once during any given run of a show. So (unless the sequence hasn't played yet) changing a sequence file that's used by the currently playing show won't have an effect (unless you do something like disable/enable shows, or change your schedule so that a new show is played, or just wait until the next time this same show is scheduled).

bob wrote:

No, the Show Player only loads a sequence once during any given run of a show.

Doesn't this cause it to use an excessive amount of memory?

That depends on what you mean by "excessive", and on how many sequences are in your show, and on how large those sequences are.

The benefit to it is that large sequences might take a noticable amount of time to load, so keeping them cached gets rid of that delay except for the first time a sequence is played during any particular run of the show.

Ignore my "memory" question. I was thinking in the past, before memory was so cheap!

My real issue is that with LOR1, I enjoyed the ability to copy an updated sequence into a show that was currently running, and then watch the new sequence when it cycled back.

Now, with 2.0, I have to restart the show from the beginning, which includes the startup, and all musical sequences in front of the one I just updated.

Is there a chance that version 2.1 will monitor the sequence files and re-load them when they change?

WOW!! Can Open, Worms everywhere!!! Thank you for all the help. I guess I will need to sequence on a separate pc.

I also want to say, I hope all your shows are going well and that you are able to a little rest after getting all your displays up and running!!!

Thanks again Ralph

Is there a chance that version 2.1 will monitor the sequence files and re-load them when they change?

The upcoming release will not have this ability.

I will mark it down in the big "suggestions" list, though - it definitely sounds like a good idea to me.