Light-O-Rama Forums

Light Amperage Worksheet

HowardShank

When starting my lighting adventure this year I went batty trying to figure out how many amps I was using per circuit. Didn't want to overload the controllers or house for that matter. My wife doesn't like sitting in the dark without heat!

So I created an excel spreadsheet to do most of the work for me. It should be pretty straight forward to use. Just don't put entries where they don't belong and you should be good to use it.

I hope others find it useful. If you have comments good or bad, please let me know. The values table contains quite a few items that I used this year, but I'm sure there's more to be added. If you have any additional specs on lights, string, blowmolds, devices, etc. please let me know here and I'll add the to the value page.

The initial file has 3 controller pages. Just make the appropriate entries on the "Controller X" page. To add or remove controllers, use the Add and/or remove Controller buttons on the first page.

To generate a report of your usage, click the generate report button on the first page and it will create a "Report summary" page and detail pages for each controller.
I found the graphs beneficial to visually identify how my controller circuits were balanced.

The download is on the left side of the page (I cannot upload the spreadsheet here)
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzez8e4z/Holidays/Christmas/2008/index.html

If you have any questions, comments (good or bad) please let me know!

Happy Holidays!
Howard

Man that’s great I thought about making an Excel program too. I make a lot of them at work for all kinds of things to make the job easier. It really only makes it easier for everybody else because I spend all my time making them and they just click and run.

So I really appreciate the time you put in making it. Good light mojo for you...

Hi Howard, nice spreadsheet! I haven't really put it to the test yet, but one suggestion that I would have is to lock all of your calculation cells so that we don't type in them incase we somehow miss you note about not doing so.

I work on Excel all the time also. I set up a similar spreadsheet although it is not as pertty as yours!:dude:

I'll give it a run through and let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

Steve

Great idea, you might be interested in this one....

http://www.quartzhillchristmas.com/12.html

This is a very popular one a lot of people have been using since last year. Take a look at the 10 controller calculator. Unless you have more then 10 then you will want the 25 controller calculator. Just add your lights to the inventory and the draw for those lights and when you add them to your controller via the tabs at the bottom it will calculate all this for you as well.

• The topic was locked