Light-O-Rama Forums

LED glitch on long fade in or fade-out

Guest guest

HW: LOR1602W
LIGHTS PER CHANNEL: 1 strand of Philips LED Icicle Lights 70 White Bulbs

On a very long fade-in (8 seconds), at around the 1 second mark, there is a point where the lights blank out for a split second.

On a very long fade-out (8 seconds) at around the 7 second mark, there is a point where the lights blank out for a split second then go back to completing the dim.

I first noticed this in the LOR Hardware program, but then duplicated it in the sequencer. I can provide a video if required to further document this.

I believe there is a firmaware upgrade to fix this, i had the same problem & installed it and it went away...email dan and he can send you the firmware upgrade.

Firmware question.... I take it that they haven't generally released the v2.0 firmware yet? I *just* ordered a LOR1602W a few days ago and got it today. Firmware tool calls it "CTB16D ver 2.0".

Do I have the new special firmware, or does everyone have this?

[i'd love to beta test the new Windows software for buglets!]

I think this came to my attention when I went to the website, did a download firmware, and found that v1.02 was the newest they had online.

We did have some issues with LEDs that could be fixed in firmware and those have been resolved. This is not a glitch in the PWM ( Pusle Width Modulation ) or Phase Control.

This effect that your are talking about is a function of the electrical characteristics of LEDs and triacs. LEDs do not act like a normal resistive load and some strings will act the way you describe.

There are a couple of things that will/may help.

It always helps to have some type of true resistive load on the channel like a single C9 bulb or a resistor... This will always clear up the problem.

This second trick helps with SOME LED strings. Unplug the string and plug it in the other way (reverse the prongs)... With some strings this completely clears up the problem.

We are working on some little add-ons that will get all LED strings to run 100%... Today the only known issue with LEDS and LOR controllers is that there is a single quick flicker at a specific intensity that is noticeable during slower fades. (the intensity where this happens depends on the brand and the color of LEDs used).

So is this a problem with electronics in nature or is it something specific of the actually device controlling it?

Was thinking about lots of LEDs for this years display.

Donald.Landru wrote:

So is this a problem with electronics in nature or is it something specific of the actually device controlling it?

It is an issue with phyiscs and how semi-conductors work in general. The circuits used to control the electrical outputs are of a standard design used on may light controllers and light dimmers so I do not see this as an issue with a specific device.

Things to remember: It does not happen will all LEDS. In most cases it is not at all noticable even with the LEDs that have this issue. About 1/2 the LEDs that I have seen with this problem only exhibit the the problem when plugged in a certian way. People have used LEDs with this issue and never noticed that it existed. This is because when you turn the LEDS on they come on rock solid (no flicker except the flicker that all 1/2 wave LEDs have)...

I know that I will be moving to LEDS. My main reason is the colors. The are so sharp!