Light-O-Rama Forums

Seperating a Custom Prop into 4 IDs

Obejohnknobe

Greetings Everyone!! 

Halloween is 146 days and Christmas is 201 days!!  So little time left to get the sequencing completed. 

Purchased a Boscoyo Giant Spider for my Mega Tree for this Halloween.  When installing it into the Design Preview, the software gives it 187 pixels on 1 ID.  I am using a Pixie 8 for my 6 strand star which is also being used for the Giant Spider, just need to separate the Giant Spider into 4 IDs but do not know how.  A few months ago, had someone sent me files for my 2 singing trees and 2 singing hanging bulbs that had been separated into 4 and 2 IDS respectfully in this forum.  Tried several different techniques while looking at the singing trees and none work.   Looked in the forum and cannot locate the conversation to see if there were directions.

I want to learn how to separate the 1 ID into 4 IDs, please.  This time taking notes.....

Thank you all in advanced,

John

Thank you, I think you also the one whom sent me the Trees and bulbs IDs the last time.

Do you have directions on how to do this??

Thanks!!

John

11 hours ago, Obejohnknobe said:

Do you have directions on how to do this??

One way to do it is setup your custom grid to have multiple strings assignable to different IDs. This is especially helpful when you need different string lengths across the four (Ex: 100, 86, 100, 90) and can't rely on setting max channels. Go to the section called Multiple Pixel Strings at this link https://www1.lightorama.com/help/custom.htm.

Greetings Jeremiah,

I have used this portion of the help menu and made a custom prop a few years back (Holidaycoro snowflake prop). The prop only had 100 pixels and only needed 1 ID.  When you have a Singing Tree from Boscoyo, there are 360 pixels and entering the tree into the Preview Design, the S6 program only gives you 1 ID.  There is a Boscoyo selection in the Design Preview and can select the Singing tree.  The Design Preview will propagate in the view 1 ID and 12 custom rows for items such as legs, hour glass and eyes.  I am using pixie cards and as a rule of thumb, can handle 100 Pixels at 5vdc with power injection.  360 pixels is way too much.  Dividing them up into 4 separate IDs is where the problem lies with me.  Where in the program do you separate IDs in a custom prop without having to re-enter by hand? 

Jim was able to separate the IDs, make the file and was able to get it loaded to my Design Preview.  Just want to learn how to do it so I am not dependent and be able to assist others if needed.

Thank you and hope you might be able to give some more insight.

John

3 minutes ago, Obejohnknobe said:

Jim was able to separate the IDs, make the file and was able to get it loaded to my Design Preview.  Just want to learn how to do it so I am not dependent and be able to assist others if needed.

Thank you and hope you might be able to give some more insight.

The info at that link I gave (under the Multiple Pixel Strings heading) is exactly what you need to do. It's exactly what Jim did for the prop he shared. If you open up the grid for the prop Jim made, the pixel number jumps from 100 to 1001.

Jeremiah,

I do see where the numbers change from 100 to 1001.  Questions, when you go into a custom Prop and in Customizing Placement, all you do to get another ID is to change the number for 101 to 1001 and it will automatically change it on Prop definition?  To get more IDs, let's say you you have 300 Pixels on the prop, you would have to change the 201 pixel next one from 1101 to 2001?

This is starting to make sense now if this scenario is true. 

Thank you,

John

Yes, it’s the best way to get separate strings, which lets you assign different unit ids per string. I did this last year with pixies in order to get separate unit ids. I think you could have set max channels to 300 instead of 510 or 512. Using max channels is not always flexible enough though. For example, if string three needs to be 100 and string 2 had to be less than a hundred. An odd case, but one that doesn’t work with the max channel route. The max channel route will always produce strings with the max channel and last string is the remainder. But by using this multiple string feature, you can define exactly how long each string is.

• Thanks 1

string one start the count at 1... string two starts the count at 1001.. string three starts the count at 2001.. string four starts the count at 3001.. etc

You just have to go into the Custom Placement Grid and recount the pixels...

Edited by Jimehc
  • Thanks 1

Jim,

Now I get it!!!  When reading the help info, it just did not make any sense to me.  With your and Jeremiah's info it now clicks and have tried it on a couple sample props.  It works!!!

Thanks to both of you!!!!

John

• 1 month later...

Thank you for doing that.  It also gave me practice before I looked at the numbering you sent.  Think I can do this without help now.

Thank you!

John

Yikes!  All the sudden clicking "custom light placement" on any model freezes my computer.  Any thoughts or referrals?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bumble said:

Hello again

Can you guys fix this prop for me  like you did the turtle? I tried but am just not smart enough!

https://boscoyostudio.com/product/coroangel/

I really appreciate the help with these larger props!

I hate you...

I just had to buy one of those and a couple of others  🥴

2 hours ago, Bumble said:

Hello again

Can you guys fix this prop for me  like you did the turtle? I tried but am just not smart enough!

https://boscoyostudio.com/product/coroangel/

I really appreciate the help with these larger props!

the prop is 236 pixels - how do you want it broken down ?

2 Strings of 118 Pixels...

Boscoyo CoroAngel.lpeprop

Edited by Jimehc
Added Prop File