Light-O-Rama Forums

Motion Effect Generator not playing correct music that is selected - S6.2.4

wicket82

I was sequencing tonight and noticed that on one song when I go to edit a motion effect for a selected part of the music, the motion effect generator plays another part of the song. It doesn't play the selected part. I have closed the sequence and reopened it. I have restarted the software. I have run the mp3 through Audacity and made sure it was 128 constant bit rate (it already was). I have converted it to WAV. I have restarted my computer. I tested with another sequence and song, and it did the same thing at first. However, when I went to another part of the second song, it played the correct part of the selection. But the initial song is still having these issues. Not sure if is this particular song or a what. 

If it's not a bug, can anyone advise me on how to fix it. Thanks in advance.

I figured out the "problem". When I was selecting part for of the song to change the motion effect, it was part of a big section that already had a motion effect in it. I just wanted to change the second half of that motion effect and not the entire thing. So instead of selecting just the small section I wanted and playing that small part, it was playing the music for the entire section for that motion effect.

So not sure if it's a bug or not that when selecting a small portion of an existing motion effect, the motion effect generator plays the music for the entire motion effect and not just the few seconds that was selected. It could have always been like that. Not sure.

yes, it has always done that (since v5), once you save it, it will be separated and next time will play just that piece 

3 hours ago, wicket82 said:

So not sure if it's a bug or not that when selecting a small portion of an existing motion effect, the motion effect generator plays the music for the entire motion effect and not just the few seconds that was selected. It could have always been like that. Not sure.

Yep.  It will always play (and edit) the entire effect.

56 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Yep.  It will always play (and edit) the entire effect.

I knew it would if you double click it. Guess I never tried to edit like 5 seconds of a 20 second section with a motion effect already there. 

To split a motion effect I select that portion I am going to change and cut/paste it onto a different motion effect row. Now you can double-click to edit that portion.

3 hours ago, MattBrown said:

To split a motion effect I select that portion I am going to change and cut/paste it onto a different motion effect row. Now you can double-click to edit that portion.

I normally have my different motion effects on different rows. But this particular one I had on one row to start with. After listening to the song back, I decided I want to put a different effect on the second half of the current one. So I just selected that part to change the effect and it played the entire effect even though I had just a few seconds selected. I never do it that way and did that night for whatever reason. It just threw me off when it was playing the entire range of the effect when I had only selected part of it. I did end up putting it on a different motion effect rows like I always do. And I tried to go back and delete the topic (it had no replies at that point and only like 2 views) but could not delete it. 

20 hours ago, MattBrown said:

Hey Matt, yes, that works, but it resets the effect to start again.  I often change colors on an effect without the effect restarting, thus maintaining continuity in the motion of the effect, but this can only be done if you maintain that effect on the same motion effect row.  If you repeat or move part of the the same effect to another motion effect row, the effect resets to the beginning of the motion.  I've noticed that editing of the effect will cause the music to play through the whole effect even though I have changed the colors.  I'm certainly willing to live with this in order to be able to make a color change without disrupting the motion of the effect.