Light-O-Rama Forums

pixie 16 170 bulbs per channel

Pioerpaolo

Hello lads. This year I'm going to improve my display a lot, so I'll have the opportunity, as usual, to [Foul Language Used] you off, hahaha. As a first annoyance, I wanted to ask you if I mistranslated the pixie 16 manual. I have 3, bought 3/4 maybe 5 years ago, which however, translating, can drive 170 bulbs for each channel, is it true? Also, if I can drive the 170 bulb does it work in both LOR and DMX?? If yes, is it better to do it in dmx?? Because the LOR on my display, which is starting to be quite large, obviously never like yours, sometimes I notice the latency which never happened on what was mounted on the pixcom16.

My opinion is to use E1.31 if you have the capability.  The Pixcon16 can handle E1.31 just fine, but note that you MUST be using a computer to run the show because the Directors don't handle E1.31.

22 hours ago, k6ccc said:

La mia opinione è di usare E1.31 se ne hai la capacità. Il Pixcon16 può gestire bene E1.31, ma nota che DEVI usare un computer per eseguire lo spettacolo perché i registi non gestiscono E1.31.

Thanks Jim, maybe the translation is wrong and I was also wrong to explain myself. I would like to use pixie16 with 170 bulbs, I wrote Dmx wrong, but I meant E1.31. I already use the pixcom16, and since you're at it, it seems to me that these too can go up to 170 bulbs?? Will they need an injection??

Pixie16 or Pixcon 16???  They are different. Pixie16 is only RS485, not E1.31

What voltage are the bulbs? What current (per bulb). 170 is probably pushing things real hard (voltage drop over the length) even with 12V low power LEDS.  Power inject is needed if the per PORT current ever exceeds 4A (the fuse size).

Reading the supplier's characteristics, they should be 0.24 W per bulb, therefore out of a total of 170 bulbs 40.8 W which in absorption makes 3.4 A. Therefore the fuse should hold up, even if almost at the limit. For the power injection where is it better, for a certain number of bulbs, for example 12V at the first and 12V at number 100 or at the end of the braid?? Is the cable for the injection an 18 awg enough??

11 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Sì, ho letto male il tuo post originale. Pixie è solo rete LOR.

0.24 W per pixel at 12 volts would be only 20 mA whish is a very low power pixel.  Most pixels are pretty close to 20 mA per color.

With the low power pixels, you may well get away with not needing power injection.  However I would test it.  Power up the entire string in full 100% white and look for a color shift between teh start and end of the string.  If you see the end showing a color shift (typically become a bit pink), then look at power injection.

As far as where to insert power, it is generally not very critical.  Do it where it's convenient.

This page has a good writeup on power injection:  https://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Power_Injection

A main point on power injection is the Break in the 12V line *IF* a different PSU is supplying power (and does not hurt if the same, but in all cases FUSE the PI line. 10 pks of inline blade sockets are cheap. pick the same size fuse as the board to make spares simple).

The issue is when only 1 PSU comes up (first) and the other tries to power the rest and starts popping fuses.

ALWAYS leave the grounds/common in place (also used by data)

I have my Pixie16 set for 150 Channels maximum, and only 3 channels are set at that, most of my Pixie16 is set at 100 bulbs per port, but the pixie itself in the HU is actually set for 170 bulbs per port, however, when I add the pixie in to a new sequence, and I am starting WITHOUT a channel config file, I have to add those extra 50 (150 bulbs) or 70 (170 bulbs) on those ports that would have that many bulbs.  Like stated, set to 170, but I don't go above 150 per port, and currently only 3 ports use this number, my 3 HC Snowflakes = 150 bulbs, and my HC tombstones on 2 ports are set for 150 bulbs, but currently only using 100 bulbs on those ports, but I have the extra 50 channels if I want to add more tombstones to those ports.

Don't know about the new versions of the software (5 or above), but anything less than version 5, I am using 4.4.16 PRO, and I have to manually add in those 50 or 70 channels manually in the SE.  As my SE will only allow me to set the Pixie16 at 100 bulbs per port when selected to auto install it into the SE, even though it can go to 170, and is why I have to add the extra channels in manually.  Which does get quite tedious at times!

And where I am using 150 channels, no power injection was needed or required.  I am using square flat nodes(tombstones) and strawberry bulbs on my Pixie16 without any issues, and I have all 16 ports in use, including my 2 LOR Singing Christmas Trees.  Just made wiring everything much easier by eliminating all the other controllers and Cat5 cable runs, not to mention a lot less extension cords to electrical outlets!  I am also using an assortment of extender cable runs to my lights without issues, some are as long as 250+ feet from the controller.

meanwhile thank you, you are always ready to help. Now I'm taking some time to do some tests, then I'll let you know my solution or if there's something strange I'll ask more questions about it.