Light-O-Rama Forums

Trying to change SS to either Wide or Thin Grid from Rays

Obejohnknobe

Greetings everyone!

2 questions please.  I am a novice when it comes to SuperStar and learning SS from Brian's 10 yr old videos as well as the others, and have run into a Senior moment snag.  I remember changing the Thin grid to Rays a while back but cannot remember how to get it back to either thin or wide grid.  Looked for the video referencing it but cannot find it, searched the help menu in SS and looked on the forum with no luck.  The boxes to select either of the 3 grids will not work and is stuck in Rays.  I did a snapshot pict to show my issue.  Can someone assist?

image.thumb.png.538805bce320c5272c6ab5aa007ec0ee.png

Next question, my license is for S6 Pro with SS 24 CCR which covers the 75 X 16 tree.  Is it possible to change to another prop during the sequence or is the SS locked into the tree and would have to purchase upgrades to include a couple more props?

Thanks for helping as it is always appreciated!!

John M.

Sorry about the old videos. The option to change from wide grid to thin grid only applied to the old versions of superstar before S5 and S6.

You do, however, have full control of the dimension of the green grid by clicking on the "View" menu and selecting "Floating Windows."

After selecting "Floating Windows" you can click and drag on the corners of the windows and stretch them however you want.

As for the license, it can be used for any prop at any time. You only need a license for the large prop or group of props that you plan on sequencing. In other words, yes, you can change to another prop and use the license.

No apologies on the videos as they seem to help out with my understanding on SS.

When using floating windows the right tree is on the left and the left tree is on the right, interesting.  Exiting out of SS will not retain its place and have to drag it again, is this normal?  As a novice, have not figured out how to undo when you color in the tree and make a mistake.  Tried the edit drop down where undo is but it is grayed out.  I take it there is another step to do in order to get to select undo?

BTW, thank you for clarification on the license!!  Last question for clarification, the tree maxes out my license so in order to use another prop at the same time, will I have to upgrade?

Thank you very much for your help!

John M.

Edited by Obejohnknobe

Using floating windows should not change what trees the grid are mapped to.

When exiting SS and going back into SS with the same prop, you do need to select "floating windows" again, but when you do, the size and location of the windows should be retained.

After applying or modifying an effect the undo option should always be available to undo or the effect or the modification. Prior to applying an effect you can change the color with the color controls.

As for the license, when I say "use another prop at the same time" I mean that if you make a group that contains more than one prop and you sequence that group then the license needs to be big enough for the number of pixels in the group. But you can sequence both props separately and the sequencing for both of them will be retained and will play to the playback screen in the sequencer.

If you send an email to brian@superstarlights.com we can schedule a time for me to remote into your computer and it will be easy to answer your questions.

So I tried  a couple of morphs in a small section of my trial sequence for practice.  Transferred to sequence, played it and it worked well, saved it.  Highlighted a different part of the sequence for SS, opened floating windows, and it did not retain what I had done in the previous part of the sequence.  Had to resize them again.

Tried undo but it will undo the effect but not the mistakes I want to correct on the tree nor will the grid clear.

Very clear on the SS license for props, thank you!

Would love to get with you on a time, have discord due to past job of instructing military students and very familiar with it.   

Will send email soon.

John M.

John,  I essentially always use floating windows in SuperStar with the preview on a second monitor (sequencing computer has four monitors).  Depending on what I am sequencing, I often move the scene, morph, text, image, or smooth effects boxes onto a third monitor.  Note that I am sequencing almost my entire show in one "Insert SuperStar Effects" so the sequencing grid is quite large - I have a 16,000 pixel or 48,000 channel SS license.

BTW, one little tidbit on floating windows.  If you are in the middle of the sequence when you select floating windows, it resets back to the beginning of the sequence (or segment that is being sequenced in any particular "Insert SuperStar Effects" when you select floating windows.