Light-O-Rama Forums

Multiple E1.31 controllers. Unique starting universe for every prop?

PlanetChrismas

Current E1.31 pixel controller starts at DMX universe 1 and counts up to 64.  Pixel props are mapped appropriately and all works AOK.

I'm adding more pixel props so a second E1.31 pixel controller is being added to the display.  This controller adds another 64 universes.

Am I correct that each prop needs a unique DMX start universe and start channel number?  My second controller props would start at universe 65?

Or.... have I missed something in mapping where both controllers can have universes 1-64 but the prop is automagically mapped to the correct controller's IP address?

My head hurts.

It's not an issue FOR THE CONTROLLERS, however yes, you MUST use unique DMX universes so that the software can keep them apart.  Otherwise the software would have no idea where to send a Universe.

With that said, there is one exception to that.  IF you have two props that will use the exact same sequencing, you COULD sequence that prop once and send the E1.31 data via Multicast (which broadcasts to everywhere) and have both controllers set to receive that Multicast data on those universes.  An example of where that may work well is if you are on a corner lot and have a pixel tree facing each street that you want to play the same, you could sequence the tree once, set those universes to Multicast, and set both controllers to use those same universes in Multicast.  

Also note that you do not have to count universes in order.  In other words, you don't have to start the next controller at 65.  For example, my P10 matrix uses Universes 101- 136 and my P5 matrix uses Universes 201 - 272, and my other E1.31 controllers use a scattering of universes between 1 and currently 53.

Jim is the smartest guy anywhere!  All confirmed.  Props need unique universes.  My new controller is working.