Light-O-Rama Forums

RJ45 splitter????

DLH lites

I have 8 controllers that are  close together but I need to put one  farther away, say 20 feet from the first controller. which is  the first controller in the daisy chain of 8, can I use a RJ45 splitter before the first controller . I would put the splitter on the Cat 5 that comes from the computer and split it to number 9 and then to the other 8  That would save me running cat 5 back and forth. I think this has been a topic before but I cant find it.  " PLAN AHEAD"    David

NO if you are using a single USB dongle.  (USB-485).

LOR has an adapter with 2 RJ45 ports, but that means the 2 CAT cables from different directions, must come to there. I am a fan of Terminating the Last (at the end of a chain) controller. If you use the 485B dongle, that is 2 terminators  (120 ohms). You terminate only the Blu pair (pins 4-5)

OTOH I use 2 dongles (networks) and made a Pair of (home built) combine-breakout adapters that allow me to use 2 sets of 2 pairs  (Blu, Or + Gn, Bn) of the cat 5 from my office to the Garage, where I have the breakout to run to different chains.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hhOO0aYWR8quum3dXbhXfAvYTVsdHZPn?usp=sharing

(note: what is pictured is a version the splits a CAT5 and Ethernet. Only the connections differ )

A third choice is just run a longer CAT5 to either of the ends . THE LOR ID's do not need to be chained in any particular order 08-02-05-03-01-23 is a perfectly valid chain