Light-O-Rama Forums

PixieCon 16 versus Pixie16 Questions......

Obejohnknobe

Greetings all,

So new questions arise due to my quest to either rise to the occasion or fail and go to another avenue.  Success is always riddle with failure to get experience.

SSssoooo, just purchased the Boscoyo Singing Trees (2 each) and Bulbs 2 each)...... thinking my Pixie16 could handle each of the trees and another for the 2 bulbs.  Went to print out the customized wiring diagram in S6 preview and lo and behold, none of the tree was separated into different channels but 1 channel of 270 pixel lights.  There were 15 different motion effects for things like the mouth (4 different mouth openings) eyes, and so forth.  As you can see, I purchased the items thinking this was a slam dunk for wiring and programming with the Pixie16..... ooppsss.

So now, thinking about purchasing the PixieCon16 to upgrade and to help with the trees and bulbs but need some questions answered before the purchase.  Pixie 16 handles up to 170 pixels per port, has anyone purchase the Boscoyo tree and separated them out into separate ports?  Has anyone used the PixieCon16 (up to 300 pixels per port) with these props?

Thank you to all whom entertained my "novice" buy now and work it in approach.  Appreciate any help!

Thanks,

John

It is all just a matter of adjusting the Prop Definition for the Prop...

Exactly which Props did you get...

Edited by Jimehc

Here is the singing Christmas tree got one with the bow and another without. https://boscoyostudio.com/product/chromacharacters-christmas-tree-4-mouth/

Here is the 2 each  Hanging ChromaBulb 46" https://boscoyostudio.com/product/chromabulb-46-hanging/

Not sure if you mean separating out the tree into different channels? 

Thanks for looking Jim,

John

This should help you - you can edit motion effect rows as needed for your Preview

Boscoyo ChromaBulb 46 Hanging.lpeprop Boscoyo Singing Tree-4 Lip With Bow.lpeprop Boscoyo Singing Tree-4 Lip.lpeprop

Edited by Jimehc
single prop file attachments

OK, got them downloaded but do not know how to open them.  I tried doing it in S6 Preview Design with adding props but really confused as to where to open them in S6. The lpeprop extension has me perplexed. Can you assist?

Thanks,

John

in preview - select "Add" - then "Import an S5 Prop File" > select one of those files... Repeat for the others..

Edited by Jimehc

Hi Jim,

Added S5 props in design preview and looks good.  However, do have some questions as the props are the same as in S5 and S6.  The designated placement of the bulbs are the same for both S5 and S6.

I work with 5vdc ws2811 pixels with Pixie 4s, Pixie8s and Pixie16s in my display except for the 1 ac residential controller and included is 4 network MP3 director to give a baseline for my next questions.

The Christmas tree is 272 pixels max, the hanging bulb is 170 pixels max.  The hanging bulb is the max pixels the Pixie16 can supposedly can handle of 170 pixels per port in the manual.  The bulb should not be a problem as 170 pixels turned on all at once should never happen.  The Christmas tree at 272 pixels is beyond the max of 170 pixels the Pixie16 can handle (supposedly).  I counted the max pixels of the tree that could be lit at one time such as the outline of the tree, eyes open and mouth wide open (all max pixels for animation) and came up with 190 pixels.   That included the bow.  So can the Pixie16 handle this many without major problems??

Can you shed some light on the subject and is this one for experimentation to see if it works?

Thanks!

John

5V is more of a limiting factor. The bus is 32A rated .  at 5V that's 160W, at 12V 384W and the ports are 4A fused-rated

The 5V current is higher and will need power injection on longer strings. This applies to both Pixies and Pixcon .

Jim,

Thanks for responding!

If I gather from your information, as long as I add Power injection (calculating 5 points), this should be no problem on one port.  Correct? 

I normally have 2 -360 watt 30A power supplies on 1 - Pixie 16 as well as the same on Pixie 8s.  I like over kill since supposedly each side of the Pixie 16 and Pixie 8s have 2 separate dc power inputs.  The 4A fuses are what I worry about when it comes to the tree.  You do NOT want to oversize fuses.

John

1 hour ago, Obejohnknobe said:

The 4A fuses are what I worry about when it comes to the tree.  You do NOT want to oversize fuses.

John

Correct, Each inject should also be fused  AND if not the same PSU, The + (ONLY) from the previous  section should be broken in case the PSU (or fuse blows)  power at different times.  Fuses protest wire and traces

so what do you want the strings broken down to - since you are using 5 volt

with the exception of the 170 pixels for the Bulb(s) - the Trees are 150 Max Pixels Per Port

With 12v the Pixie can handle all 170 Pixels per port without power injection - 5v has a lot of voltage drop and will drop out with that same pixel count

Edited by Jimehc

Hi Jim,

This appears a LOT to understand and hope you can set me straight from the info you sent.

Load the Christmas tree Boscoyo prop with its 270 plus pixels but 3 separate hex ids at 100 pixels per port.

Does the software know that every 100 pixels it goes to the next port?  For example, port 1 starts with pixel 1 thru 100, port 2 starts with pixel 101 thru 200 and port 3 starts with pixel 201 thru 270+??? 

When wiring the prop, make sure I follow the customized wiring diagram in S5/S6 and wire pixels 1 thru 100, 101 thru 200 and 201 thru 270+ adding in power injection at the 50 pixel mark???

Just trying to understand the context of making this single prop divided into 3 ports on a pixie16.

Thanks,

John

the Tree will use three separate strings of pixels.... Hole 1-100 first string... Hole 101-200 second string.. Hole 201-270+ third string...  The prop definition tells the software the prop is divided in three strings (Ports) and the software will follow the Prop Definition...

Edited by Jimehc

Thank you!!

Will be wiring all the props in the next couple of days.  Then will do a sequence to see if it all works as described.  i am very excited to try this out as I have been wondering about how everyone uses a singing prop with more pixels on a single card.

Again, thank you for the explanation!

John