Light-O-Rama Forums

Merging Sequences. Is it possible to do this...

Pepeprawns

Hi all i'm i bit new to the game but not the technology. Here's what i want to do i have split songs into 5 segments. Voice, bass, drums, strings and other. Each segment has its on mp3 file. I am creating a sequence using each segment on the same Preview / setup of 32 channels. Why you may ask? It is super easy to do sequence to the beats when they are separated. I'm using each as it's own segments of channels. so fo fun lets say 1-4 is voice, 5&6 are bass 7-12 are other, 13-14 drums and 15-32 are strings. I am not mixing anything up so each chunk is clear of the other. The idea was to reassemble the 5 segments into 1 to the complete track and get a full sequence. IS this possible or would this be possible in another way of using the software. Thanks in advance.

21 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Short answer (from my phone), yes it is possible.  A lot of copy and paste.

You know sometimes it's the obvious answer. Never crossed my mind to just do some simple copy and past with multiple sequence tabs up in my window.. Thanks so much for that smack in the head to wake me up. Hahaha

Yep.  Easy to have multiple sequences open.  Since you're using the same Preview, but NOT duplicating channels that have sequencing, it's pretty easy.

How I handle things like that are, I create a new sequence with everything, including the single, complete music file.  Then I open only ONE sequence that contains the section I am working on and copy/paste from that, say drums, so I only open the Drums sequence and do the copy and paste, close only that sequence {drums} when copying and pasting is done into the new full sequence, then I open the next sequence, say Bass, and repeat the copy/paste, close and continue on this way until I have the full sequence completed, then save the completed sequence {I save the newly created sequence every section that is completed from the sequence being copied from).

Why I don't open ALL the sequences at once, having multiple tabs open for copying/pasting?  Because I have had the SE crash on me when having numerous tabs open, and lost work.  I have also inadvertently copied incorrectly from a section and put it in the wrong section of the new sequence, it happens.  So, what works best for me, and to keep everything neat and orderly, is to do it as I outlined above.  That way, I don't end up with a sequence that is incorrectly copied and pasted into the new sequence.

But whatever works best for you is how to do it.  The method that works best for me, might bot be best for someone else.  Just sharing my way of doing and why I do it that way.

Just do it in a way you feel works best for you.  Everyone has their own way of sequencing, all a matter of personal preference.

Another Option would be to just create a different view for each set of channels you want to use. Then you can just Sequence, Media File and change the media file for each segment you want to use. That way all you are doing is changing the media file and you won't have 4 or 5 different sequences to combine when you're done.