Light-O-Rama Forums

Dumb RGB twinkle colors

bdwillie

Twinkle colors with dumb RGB LEDS.  I knew if you twinkled white, you would really get multiple colors instead of white twinkle.  I am assuming that is the case with any color that is not straight up red, green, or blue as that is the three base colors?  Twinkling yellow, seems to get me yellow, green and red.  I have a short clipboard saved from many years ago someone sent me to simulate white twinkle workaround.  I will adapt that for the color yellow.  I Can't believe that I haven't twinkled a color other than red, green, or blue in RGB all these years!

I wonder if that will ever be fixed, or if it is possible to fix?  Till then will use the workaround!

Now back to finishing up yellow submarine!

1 hour ago, bdwillie said:

Twinkle colors with dumb RGB LEDS.  I knew if you twinkled white, you would really get multiple colors instead of white twinkle.  I am assuming that is the case with any color that is not straight up red, green, or blue as that is the three base colors?  Twinkling yellow, seems to get me yellow, green and red.  I have a short clipboard saved from many years ago someone sent me to simulate white twinkle workaround.  I will adapt that for the color yellow.  I Can't believe that I haven't twinkled a color other than red, green, or blue in RGB all these years!

I wonder if that will ever be fixed, or if it is possible to fix?  Till then will use the workaround!

Now back to finishing up yellow submarine!

If this was V4, I would simply expand the group (really 3 channels) and twinkle just the color. 

Maybe you can create a monochrome prop using just the Ports true channel number (1 R, 2 G 3 B.... )

(And yes, I would love to be able to twinkle ANY single RGB color)

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

If this was V4, I would simply expand the group (really 3 channels) and twinkle just the color. 

Maybe you can create a monochrome prop using just the Ports true channel number (1 R, 2 G 3 B.... )

(And yes, I would love to be able to twinkle ANY single RGB color)

Yea, me too, instead of random colors all over the place.  There are times I'd like to just twinkle white, have no idea what this work-around is, but I've never been able to twinkle any other colors that I'd like, other than red, green or blue.  And I'd like to just twinkle white, or any other solid color {purple, orange, pink, teal or any other color} I could come with, instead of random colors everywhere, but haven't figured out how to do that with the smart strands I'm using.  If there is a way to twinkle all white only, or any other solid colors without white showing up or random colors all along the strand, I'd love to know how it's done!

Sometimes I wish these nodes weren't just RGB, but RGBW, so that white isn't made up off the 3 RGB colors, but a pure white LED, as it seems no matter what intensity I use, I still end up with a white that isn't really white, always has some underlying color, making it look a bit on pinkish side.  I have never been able to get a clean white look to any of my RGB strands, not even close to what I would consider "white".

It's not hard to create a "twinkle" effect simply by rapidly turning all three colors of an RGB (pixel or dumb device) on and off in a somewhat random arrangement.  Since twinkle is fairly slow (compared to shimmer), it's quite easy to do.

I have also done something similar where I needed segments of smart strip to twinkle rather than each pixel.

If you have a Pro license, you can use the Twinkle motion effect. If you have a set of RGB floods, then put them in a group and apply the twinkle effect to the group.

14 hours ago, MattBrown said:

If you have a Pro license, you can use the Twinkle motion effect. If you have a set of RGB floods, then put them in a group and apply the twinkle effect to the group.

I have a Pro license, but unfortunately my version 4.4.16 Pro doesn't have motion effects.  I think that option is only in version 5.x.x and above.  Not sure if the very first version 5 software had the motion effects, I didn't get much of a chance to play with  version 5 before the computer I had it on to learn it went belly up on me. :(

p.s. I do have 8 HC Smart 10W Floods, 4 per port on my Pixie16.

Edited by Orville

1 hour ago, Orville said:

I have a Pro license, but unfortunately my version 4.4.16 Pro doesn't have motion effects. 

As far as my ancient memory goes, you should have Pixel Editor (which became Motion Effects in S5).

19 hours ago, MattBrown said:

THAT WORKED!  Cool!  Thanks!

On 2/18/2023 at 11:57 AM, k6ccc said:

As far as my ancient memory goes, you should have Pixel Editor (which became Motion Effects in S5).

Yes, I do have a "Pixel Editor", tried using it numerous times, I guess I'll never understand how that works, as I could NEVER get anything to work in using it.  I just can't seem to understand it at all.  I've tried so many times to use that thing, but never had any success with it, so I don't even think about that program any longer, as far as I'm concerned it doesn't exist for me, mainly because I could never get anything to work in it, no matter what I tried.   I like things easy, and that just makes things too difficult for this old geezer. LOL  Guess I'm just to set in my ways of the original SE and that's the way I like things extremely easy and simple to use.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orville said:

Yes, I do have a "Pixel Editor", tried using it numerous times, I guess I'll never understand how that works, as I could NEVER get anything to work in using it.  I just can't seem to understand it at all. 

Don't feel bad - I could not either.  The only time I was ever able to get an effect created in PE to work in the sequence was once when on a remote session with Matt.  And I could never replicate it after that.  I could make pretty effects in PE without any trouble, but never could get them into SE.

Now in S5 and S6 the integration of Motion Effects (what PE became) is better and I can make that work.  I still don't use it much, but I can make it work.

3 hours ago, Orville said:

Yes, I do have a "Pixel Editor", tried using it numerous times, I guess I'll never understand how that works, as I could NEVER get anything to work in using it.  I just can't seem to understand it at all.  I've tried so many times to use that thing, but never had any success with it, so I don't even think about that program any longer, as far as I'm concerned it doesn't exist for me, mainly because I could never get anything to work in it, no matter what I tried.   I like things easy, and that just makes things too difficult for this old geezer. LOL  Guess I'm just to set in my ways of the original SE and that's the way I like things extremely easy and simple to use.

That makes 2 of us. Then it seemed to get more complicated merging AC and Pixels. Never even thought of using PE withe dumb RGB

4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Don't feel bad - I could not either.  The only time I was ever able to get an effect created in PE to work in the sequence was once when on a remote session with Matt.  And I could never replicate it after that.  I could make pretty effects in PE without any trouble, but never could get them into SE.

Now in S5 and S6 the integration of Motion Effects (what PE became) is better and I can make that work.  I still don't use it much, but I can make it work.

Yep, that's about all I could do with it, too!  Make pretty effects, watch them on the screen, but they never translated to making any lights work in it.  I tried importing one to see if perhaps the pretty effect would import and lights work, I got it to import, but it sure screwed up the original [BACKUP COPY] of the original sequence, channels were really screwed up, bad, so bad,I just deleted the backup copy and all its files.  Never, ever tried to do that again.

Learned my lesson a very long time ago, never, never, work on an original sequence, always make a backup copy and work on that.  After murdering about 5 sequences, never worked on an original sequence again, not after that fiasco. LOL

3 hours ago, TheDucks said:

That makes 2 of us. Then it seemed to get more complicated merging AC and Pixels. Never even thought of using PE withe dumb RGB

I guess the only dumb pixel in my collection is me! ROFL 

All my pixels are smart pixels, but I still couldn't get that pesky Pixel Editor to work with them.