Light-O-Rama Forums

List View in the Grid

machtoo

Had a successful season with V5.  Beginning to work on a new sequence for 2023.  I have two 16x100 pixel trees and a 12 ribbon CCR tree.  and 360 legacy channels controlling many 3 color props like 32 mini trees in red, white and green which is 96 channels alone. 

Is there anyway to sort the list/grid by channel as we had in the past prior to V5?

Working with this many legacy channels will be very difficult with the list basically alphabetized.  The legacy channels are not in a logical order to create legacy effects based on the older single channel logic.

Hoping someone has figured this out.

Thanks in advance, Dean

Edited by machtoo

23 minutes ago, machtoo said:

Had a successful season with V5.  Beginning to work on a new sequence for 2023.  I have two 16x100 pixel trees and a 12 ribbon CCR tree.  and 360 legacy channels controlling many 3 color props like 32 mini trees in red, white and green which is 96 channels alone. 

Is there anyway to sort the list/grid by channel as we had in the past prior to V5?

Working with this many legacy channels will be very difficult with the list basically alphabetized.  The legacy channels are not in a logical order to create legacy effects based on the older single channel logic.

Hoping someone has figured this out.

Thanks in advance, Dean

I think you want to sort the channels.

• Expand your prop.
  • Right click and select sort channels.
  • Chose one of the options.

Aware if that but there is no sort by channel option listed....hopefully there is another way to "sort by channel".  It may be buried there but V5/6 terminology is different.

I successfully imported and converted 40 V4 sequences last year but did not have to alter legacy channels.  Just added the new pixel trees and the motion effects in the sequences.  CCR tree sequences already existed in V4.

Thanks

If you are using the "Show All" view, it can't be sorted.  Create a new view and you can select what props or groups to show, and sort them any way you want.

Created a new view, but you still cannot "select all" and sort by channel...the options were still the same as the "Show All Items".  The only place I see a channel sort option is on a per prop basis which does give me what I need.  

Example: I have 32 mini trees each with red, green and white C6 LEDs.  All white channels are in two controllers, all red channels in the next two, and all green in the next two, etc.  Sorting by channel will organize them by color for sequencing.  Had this with S4.

As it is in the S5 list, the mini trees are sorted by name and then by channel, so I get Mini Tree1, Mini Tree10, 11,12,13 and so on.  Then the Mini Trees with 2's, then 3s.

If they can be sorted by channel, I will get Mini Tree 1-16 White, then Red 1-16, and then Green 1-16 in the grid which facilitates sequencing of the legacy channels.

I really do not want and should not have to go back to V4, create a new sequence and then import into V5/6.

This should explain the situation.  I have been sequencing since 2008.  V5 was a major change in layout in the sequencer and leans to pixels versus a/c channels.  I did not use props in S4 but have had a CCR tree and sequences  for many years using SuperStar.

Edited by machtoo
mispell

This worked for me when I used AC props. I would set up groups per color and add each mini tree in the order I needed them to be in the group. This allowed me to edit each mini tree separately and I added Motion effect rows to the group. this allowed me to add effects across all of the AC props in the group. This is just a possible way to change the channel order and help eliminate clutter in the main sequence view account you can collapse the group when not editing those channels. hope you find a easy solution.  

Edited by Box on Rails
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tlogan said:

Also it helps to start numbering your props 01 (or 001 depending on how many you have) so they sort properly.

Yes very important piece I missed. Thank you. I always start with 001. 

Have to ponder this a while...if I change the Preview and Props, I have 40 sequences to modify and update.  Not totally clear on your description of creating "groups per color".  At present, my mini trees are individual props each with 3 channels for white, red and green.  Are you saying I need to create individual props with single colors and channels?...then create a Red Mini Tree Group, a Red Candy Cane group, etc?  If that is the case, we're looking at a massive amount of work.  Groups are not something I have used in LOR sequencing before.

Did the renaming based on the 0001 approach.  That cleaned up the prop order.  But I believe I am going to have to split the legacy props with multiple channels in a single prop to be able to create color-based groups and provide the ability to sequence each color in the legacy prop.  If anyone know an easy way to split the a/c 3-color props into 3 separate props please share.  Otherwise, it is going to be a busy winter. Thanks

This is a OneDrive link to a jpg of a mini tree prop as it exists...  https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao4fhQbbwCGO0HAYGLWjrfT8phys?e=PPz7iO just click the link to view.

Edited by machtoo
Correction for link instructions

OK I see what you mean now. I never used this method with props I created using legacy/AC channels. with S5/S6 you might have to separate each color in the prop to it's own prop, this should be easy. Make 2 copy of each mini tree and assign each of the three trees one color and the unit ID and channel for that color previously associated with the old prop. I would use the same name for each channel but put a letter at the end of each copy associated with each color. W for white, R for red, B for blue and so on. then stack them on top of each other in the preview. now you can create your groups by colored prop. side note. If the software would allow you to separate your prop by motion effects rows into groups, then you could do what you want without separating the prop. I have made this request to the software Gods and I have not even got a response to my posts. Maybe some one in this group might know a better way to achieve what you need without separating the prop but I see no other way. 

Yep...started last night...turned 16 Candy Cane props with 3 channels/colors each into 48 separate props with one channel each...created a "CandyCanes" group and put all of the Candy Cane props in the group and was able to sort by channel in the sequencer view to get "by channel/by color" sorts of the candy cane props.  Now on to the tricolor mini trees and the tricolor 6 foot white trees.  Once done I will have to open the 40 sequences and save with the new preview design.  Then cleanup of the view.

I had to do that a couple years ago.  Different props of course, but changed how a lot of stuff is built in the Preview.  Gave me something to do while recovering from some surgery...

• Like 1

I just realized modifying the tricolor props and making copies and creating single channel props you lose the channel data for the other two colors in the sequencer once you uncheck the other two colors.  I would have to go back to the original S4 sequences and copy and paste the sequencing data for the other two colors.   Way too much effort.  So, unless I can figure out a way to retain the sequencing data for all three channels in the single prop, I am stuck not being able to create any new sequences using the legacy props.  I hope I am missing something. 

After racking my brain, experimenting, and taking into account all of the comments, I figured it out ...by adding groups of the existing tricolor props for candy canes, mini trees row1, row2, etc, I was able to expand the groups in the "Show All items" view and it provided the option to sort by physical channel.  This method kept the existing sequencing data in the sequencer.

Now I have a more technical question...after creating the legacy prop groups, is there a way to get rid of or hide the duplicate single prop items in the Show All items list while retaining the new groups that contain the same props and data?