Light-O-Rama Forums

Is there a way to assign a color to a DMX intensity setting?

TexasLights

I am playing with a moving head using DMX. The intensities for the colors only range every 10 units (4 %) - So the bars in the sequencer are really hard to tell the colors apart.  Does anyone have any tips/tricks for doing this?  

On Mouse Click = Create

Select Effect Type = Channel

Channel Effect = DMX

DMX Intensity to the desired DMX "level"

With the pencil, select the desired channel and time cells that you want and whatever "level" you selected will be assigned.

Note, because generally you are selecting VERY low numbers, there will be little or nothing showing in the sequencing grid - which makes it hard to tell where you have done stuff.  But it does work.

You can't have a Sequencer color for each segment of the gobo color anyway so the dmx level for the single channel is all you get. For the low end values you can check the level by hovering with the mouse.

I have a spreadsheet with all the head values open on another monitor for quick reference.

Thanks, both answers match up with what I found.  But it seems like something a computer is good at, so I hoping some way to do it.  It would seem easy enough to have a mapping somewhere that said this intensity should show as this color.  Although, my pixel effects don't show their color either so I suspect once I play a bit, it will become more obvious. 

Also, a few observations that I have so far. 

View fades as ramps has to be selected (I use that anyway) but if not checked, the cross hatching is near invisible 

The channel effect background needs to a dark(est) color and the channel color light.  With a light background and dark channel color, The low settings blend in with the dark grid lines 

While a nice feature, the DMX intensity does not have preset ranges like the normal intensity dialog where I can at least create a RED setting to select rather than type it in each time.  

Set the maximum value vs minimum to make the fill as big as possible

Just playing at this point to add something different so any other tips/tricks would be appreciated 

Edited by TexasLights

One last one. Matching fill is your friend for long ramps and even the same intensity. Fill a cell at the start with an intensity and a fill the end cell, right click, matching fill.