Light-O-Rama Forums

Learned something about multiple network Directors I didn't know

Orville

I have an N4-G4 Director, I use all my 5V CCB100D on Net 3, which is usually Aux B, as Net 1 is the Regular Network, Net 2 is usually Aux A.  I also noticed that the Directors Network connections are called "Ports" in the HU, I never really noticed that before, with the advent of the RGB Controllers and the outputs being called Ports, I'd have thought the Director outputs would have been called "Networks".

So I have sequences that just have the 5V CCB100D controllers in them and no other controllers, but after Christmas and I started using the newer sequences with just these controllers, I found out that the output networks "Ports" on the Director can change!  I had thought Net 1 would always be Regular, Net 2 would always be Aux A, Net 3 - Aux B and Net 4 - Aux C.   So I loaded the sequences that run my ramp safety lighting during the off season, wrote the show and found out that the Regular port was now Aux B, OOPS, that wasn't going to work, so I added my CTB16PC back in that supplies power to the N4-G4 Director, edited the sequences to add this controller into them.  Well my Pixie16D was connected to Net 2, which was Aux A during the Christmas show, didn't give that much thought.

Well I redid the ramp light sequences, added them once again to the SD Card, inserted into the N4-G4 Director, again, not thinking the networks location would be affected, the AUX component that is, lo and behold, no lights came on again, what?  They are still connected to the correct network Net 3 Aux B, well turns out since Aux A and the Pixie 16D were not in the sequence, Aux B got moved to the Pixie 16D network, Net 2.   So I unplugged the cat5 from Net 2 that went to the Pixie16D and plugged it into Net 3, plugged the CCB100D controllers that had been plugged into Net 3, which I thought would still be Aux B, and plugged it into Net 2, which was now Aux B, and not A!

But this sure had me confused when I was scratching my head trying to figure out why these controllers weren't turning on the lights on the ramp, when they had been working just fine the night before.

Added the Pixie16D back into the sequences, swapped the cat5 cables again, and everything was back to normal.  I'll know not to delete controllers from a sequence, even if they aren't being used at the time for anything.  Thought I was saving myself some effort and time by having only the 5V CCB100D Controllers being the only ones in the sequence, instead, for a little while I was going nuts trying to figure out what happened?  Did I accidentally unplug a cat5 cable, unplug the power to those controllers, using a flashlight and tracing every cat5 and power connection, found nothing, was wondering what the heck did I do that caused this mess?   So here I am tracing wires, connections, power connections and all the wire, it was because those other two controllers were not defined in the sequence to keep everything where it was originally.  Something simple and I took it to the extreme. LOL

Just in case someone else ever does this type of thing after the holiday has ended and lights don't work that did before, especially if you use some for year round lighting like I do.

This was one hard pill to swallow when I realized what a blunder and mess I made for myself, especially since it was a very simple fix! ROFL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I discovered this same little issue after New Years when doing some testing for a new prop that will now force me to add an "Aux B".  I had a test-only preview that I was attempting to use, and ended up having to add two un-used props; one for "regular" and one for "Aux A" so that it would parse correctly in the hub when setting up the SD card.  This is how we learn.  :)

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Reminds me of another reason I'm glad I don't use a Director...

ROFLMAO.   Well it's just not Directors that can cause some really screwy hiccups, I had them when using a computer for a few years to run my shows too.

But despite the Director's shortcomings compared to a computer, I still prefer the Director, in my case it makes running Cat5 cables a lot simpler than trying to run them out a window or under a door where they can become a trip hazard!  

Perhaps one day I might figure out how to install wall plates for Cat5 cables on the inside and outside, so I can just plug them in under the computer desk to get to the outside world.   But my lack of carpentry skills is so bad, I can't even draw a straight line, even if I use a ruler to do so, it still comes out at an angle.   Can't cut a straight line either, not even if using a jig to do so, I still get an angle cut. LOL    Now if I could just find someone to install them for me.... ;)

6 hours ago, hasslerk said:

Yes, I discovered this same little issue after New Years when doing some testing for a new prop that will now force me to add an "Aux B".  I had a test-only preview that I was attempting to use, and ended up having to add two un-used props; one for "regular" and one for "Aux A" so that it would parse correctly in the hub when setting up the SD card.  This is how we learn.  :)

Sometimes these learning curves can make you go bald from pulling all your hair out trying to figure out what happened? ROFL

• Haha 1