Light-O-Rama Forums

Ride On Trains

Sctiger

I came across this video a couple of years ago, and since then it has haunted my dreams.

So let's just suppose that there's a guy with very limited electrical knowledge (or just limited knowledge of all things in general!) that apparently feels like he has a lot of free time on his hands.  If he were to look up electric wheelchair motors, what exactly would he search for?  Would gearboxes be necessary as well? Unfortunately a whole lot of that information wasn't shared.  Lots of other cool ideas were shared though.

I remember a post on here a while back where someone was working on a train that looked great. I even commented on it, but for the life of me, I can't seem to find it now.  

• 4 weeks later...

I remember folks making trains.... some to ride on & some trains simply going around without passengers.  Hick even some  made non-riding but working Roller Coasters. Had a working Roller Coaster up here in Edmonton, Alberta on someones front yard. I skipped the train & build a non-riding but working 11ft Ferris Wheel, then I build a Carousel. Then I bought a motorized 12 volt train for my front deck to go with the Carousel or the Ferris Wheel. I am going to stop doing a musical show as 16 years is enough for me & I might go back to the Train, or Ferris Wheel or Carousel.  I need a new motor for the train so I will look into that, or it could be the battery. 

Anyhow I was thinking about the train you see in Malls. Could you make one like that? Get a small quad & build a locomotive frame around it, & then build 3 cars.

Edited by lightzilla

Sourcing parts is the largest issue. The drive mechanism in the tender plus where did they get the rails from? Great ideas on how the various appearance parts were fabricated!

• 9 months later...

I have actually seen these for sale on eBay, Alibaba and other places.  The ride on's are 7&1/2" or 3&1/4" gauge trains I believe.  I have also seen trackless trains made from ride on lawn mowers and such.  my son is a train enthusiast so I get to learn a lot about them through his discussions.