Light-O-Rama Forums

Was it Squirrels or Rabbits

Wayne K

My aux B side did not want to light up last night. So after much trouble shooting and finally switching the aux A and aux B side for side and the B worked on on the A and the B did not work on the A side. I decided to grab a new ethernet cable and run from my weatherproof jack to the first controller I got it to work just before my 6:00 show start. Tonight I go out and run an audio check and found no audio on the south side speaker. So I go to my weatherproof box to look at my speaker wire and after I opened the box I happend to look down at the ground and this is what I seen. The spt1 wire is my speaker lead and the ethernet cable is the first cable in the chain. Err! I think something decided to have lunch with my wiring.

ethernet%201.jpg

A little closer look

ethernet%201test.jpg

Edited by Wayne K

6 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Sort of looks like what happened to mine when  deer decided to walk through my yard once. 

JR

Animals with Sharp Hoofs is a possibility 👍.

Both of these are some what behind my outside a/c unit. My weatherproof ethernet connection box is about 18 inches of the ground and these were damage right at ground level. I guess I thought possible rabbit as I seen one run across the drive when I left for work the other day. The spt1 cable has a lot of marks on it. The ethernet cable looks like a clean cut, but it does have a couple of other marks on it. The bad part is I have 4 nice security cameras that cover all of my display and most of the controllers, but nothing back in the corner where all of my power and cables connect to. I can't imagine vandalism in my small town. That is why I posted this was to see what everyone thinks it was.

Thanks for the info

Wayne

Looks like squirrel damage to me. I have had issues before (so far, this year, so good) with chewed wires and bulbs taken clean off in places I know the squirrels run. I've posted these before, here they are again:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apf6rN02Pdwkik6HFeNpouXsSqzw?e=k1QTZW

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apf6rN02Pdwkik_mKN3k0weyd7Tr?e=8jhFCN

Edited by tlogan
corrected link

Over the years I have had incandescent bulbs cleanly removed where the wires emerge from the sockets on light strings along the roof line.  A squirrel can chew through the shells of butternuts and acorns.  A wire is merely a chew toy for them.   

The rats with fuzzy tails is my guess. I have given up wrapping trees years ago because of it. They will find and chew wires, bulbs etc. 

Im glad that the squirrels consider my home a death trap. They get in my attic and fall in between my oldest sons bedroom wall and our dining room. That must be why I have never had a squirrel , rabbit, racoon, fox, wildcat mess with me. I did have a fox just drop dead one time in the middle of my front yard. After a night of training her babies. 

Deer are the only creatures that have disturbed my lights. 

I have 8 acres and am surrounded by trees. "Knock on wood".

JR