Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller numbering

David Rise

Curious if I can have 2 pixie controllers using the same port numbers if they are on different networks?

Say I have the following.

Pixie8, regular network, 1 - 8

Pixie8, Aux A network, 1 - 8

As Mr P say: Yes, but why make Murphy's job easier? You have loads of ID's to play with (for now  🙃)

BTW if you put both on the same network, they shadow the other. Just be aware and not try  stuff that want only 1 (mostly the HU Find, setup and FW load)

Everyone seems to overthink the hexadecimal numbering system. It is no that difficult and you have no reason to need 2 networks for only 2 pixel controllers. Once you do it one time the rest is simple.

Pixie8 Unit ID 1 = units 1-8

Pixie8 Unit ID 2 = units 09- 11  (09, 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0F, 10, 11)

If you added another Pixie8 = 12  (12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19) from there you just follow the hexadecimal order again.

Save the extra adapter as a spare or once your network is getting loaded to the max .

JR

You might want 2 networks, I have 2 that go in different directions so it just makes it easier, although I chose not to use duplicate controller ids.  

Also, for the hex numbering, its not hard (I have doing hex math for 50 years) but a bit foreign to some people.  I find it easier to just bump it to the next one.  first pixie 8 - 1, 2nd pixie 8 -11, 3r - 21, etc.  Of course if someone has more than 10 on a network, than they have to go hex eventually.  it seems like such a small thing, I was always surprised, LOR doesn't just offer a setting to show in decimal.