Light-O-Rama Forums

Using the same sequences for different songs

Coach
Go to solution Solved by k6ccc,

If i understand correctly, you want to use 1 sequence for multiple songs... this only work if each song has the exact same beat. Which is slim to none.

• Solution

You certainly CAN, but you're not likely going to be very happy with the result unless you put a lot of effort into adjusting it.  Easy enough to do.

Open the source file in Sequencer.  Then create a new musical sequence using the new song.  Make sure both are using the same preview AND the channel layout grid is the same.  Easiest way to make sure of the latter is to use the Show all items grid view.

On the source sequence, select any timing grid for all channels.  Type the R key so that it selects the entire row.  Then [CTRL-C] to copy the entire sequencing.

Change to your new blank sequence for the new song.  Select the first timing grid position for the very top sequencing row.  Press [CTRL-V] to paste the entire sequencing to the new song.

Note that if the source song is shorter than the new one, the portion of time after the length of the source song will be blank in the new song.

Start modifying.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Coach said:

I understand that. I’m going to modify it I just don’t want to rebuild the whole thing.

It is much easier to sequence than "resequence" for an entire song.

Not that I have ever tried it however I have seen the results and they are not very sightly.

JR

• Like 1

I like this Idea. I think if you where to "paste by cell" some of the copied effects might just end up looking good. I would think it might be like rolling the dice. in addition, pasting by cell would put the effects into the new sequence's timing. then you could move some of the better effects into props where they might work best. I think that would be a great place to start a sequence. I might give it a try and see what happens for new sequenses in 2023. That's the beauty of LOR, any thing can be done. Merry Christmas everyone and be well.

Kenny

I've done something similar to this with different versions of the same song.   For instance,  The Carpenters version of "Do you here what I Here" vs. Johnny Mathis version of the song.  When I create my timing grid, I always use the tapper so that I can precisely control how many cells are in each measure of the song and in the song total.   When the total number of cells are equal between the 2 different songs,  I just copy and paste by cell from one sequence to the other.  I have also done this with Mannheim Steamroller's various versions of their songs.

• Like 1

The way I do it is I find a song that is close to the same length & that has a similar vibe (lets say). Example Christmas Cannon Children Choir version 4:20 & Jewel's Hands (Christmas Version) 4:11.  So I take the sequence Christmas Cannon & load the song Hands.  Yes it is 11 seconds shorter. So yes you loose the ending. Then I click "Save As " and I change the title to Hands Christmas Version & do the adjustments.  I do smooth fades up or down & in this case most of it works fairly good. I should add no I do not loose the Christmas Cannon sequence because I used Save As. Besides I make a couple of extra copies & load then to other hard drives.

Edited by lightzilla
  • Like 1