Light-O-Rama Forums

Has anyone built a dumb RGB node spiral tree?

tjflory

Dumb and Spiral?

Each string in the spiral is a color(that can change). You get segments, how many, depends on the string length of the segment. I think it would look odd.

I don't think I would ever use ribbon in a Spiral. they don't like flexing  I use bullets on 3" centers. that is a sting of 12.5' when mounted in the tape.

I made a more conventional tree. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JLtBw56vnz6cICReTBFqVbM2JYfKBTmy/view?usp=share_link

There are 16 Dumb  bullet strings (of 60) and 1 smart string in the middle (17 total. It ended up that way because I put stakes at 0, 90 and 180, the kept dividing those in half)

2 CMB24 and a Pixie4, 2 400W 12V supplies

I was toying with a spiral mega-tree using dumb RGB.  It would be similar to using multiple color strings of AC lights except the ability to make each string any color as opposed to the AC concept where you only have as many colors as you wire it with.

Ended up not doing that.

I do two spiral mega trees but not with dumb RGB. I suppose it would be really nice if I could find dumb node type strings as opposed to strips. It would give me the capability to alter colors instead of having a single color or multi's as I do now. Of all my props, the megatrees take the most effort to put up as they each have 32 strings, 16 cw and 16 ccw but when they are dancing, they look fantastic.

11 hours ago, tjflory said:

Has anyone built a dumb RGB node spiral tree?

Please share details and advice.

Thanks.

TJ

I have a smart RGB spiral tree. It looks amazing. I can send you the PVC plans for the frame if you like.

Its 16x50 and 6ft high.

3 hours ago, dgrant said:

I do two spiral mega trees but not with dumb RGB. I suppose it would be really nice if I could find dumb node type strings as opposed to strips. It would give me the capability to alter colors instead of having a single color or multi's as I do now. Of all my props, the megatrees take the most effort to put up as they each have 32 strings, 16 cw and 16 ccw but when they are dancing, they look fantastic.

Make your own interleaved (really 2 strings). Start with 2 sets of 6" spacing  staggered and a lot of Zip ties (IMHO black lasts longer in sun)

But Why (unless you have a free source of Dumb)? Set the resolution of a Pixie to a small number and the string behaves as dumb. Just remember, the whole Pixie has 1 mode (this is why I like smaller count pixies)

• The topic was locked