One Channel Stays on

Ponddude

Well I got the show going tonight, but one of my controllers has just one channel....channel 1...which stays lit. I am using the CTB16PC...not a kit. The channel is holding 200 mini lights, not LED's. I am sure that is plenty of power draw on the channel. When I unplug the controller, the lights still stay on as well. I am pretty sure that this is a bad triac, but can you confirm this?

Ponddude wrote:

... When I unplug the controller, the lights still stay on as well. I am pretty sure that this is a bad triac, but can you confirm this?

I assume you mean when you unplug the Cat-5 cable the lights stay on.
How about when you use the hardware utility and turn all the lights off.
Does that channel still stay on?

No I mean when I unplug the power from the whole controller the lights stay on. Even when I use the HU it still stays on. Nothing I do, besides unplugging the lights, turns off the strings.

Sounds real strange that when you unplug the controller the lights stay on. Does the controller have one or two power cords? The only way that channel one could stay on when you unplug anything, would be for you to unplug the input cord for the right side of the board (9-16) and leave the power cord for the left side (1-8) plugged in.

If the controller is completely dead, NO input power, then I think you need to check exactly where you have your lights plugged in. Cause sure does not seem like it is this controller.

Chuck

I did a little testing with it...

When I take the controller out of the network, it still stays lit. When it is off the network I then unplugged it and the everything went off. When I plug the controller back in, still disconnected from the LOR network, the channel comes on. That tells me it is the triac...its stuck in the open position. I will replace it tomorrow.