Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixcon 16 freezes

Cheski

I have been using a Pixcon 16 for the last couple of years with no trouble.  I have not added any additional elements this year.  This year the show begins to play and after a couple of songs the pixels freeze. I have to stop the show and cycle the power on the pixcon to get reconnected.  I have 5 other LOR AC boxes running in the show.

I have the following:  Dedicated computer and router (not connected to internet)

Pixcon firmware V1.4.8

LOR 4.4.0 advanced

Pixel tree with 400 pixels (300 on Port 1 & 100 on Port 2), 150 strip LEDs on Port 3, 150 strip LEDs on Port 4, 50 pixels on Port 5, and 50 pixels on Port 6.

running DMX E1.31 Multicast, DHCP

The voltage indicates 8.6 volts on the network configuration, but when we check the voltage on the board itself it reads 11.2 volts.  

1.  Is there a way to reduce the pixel intensity using this version of the firmware/software?  Maybe this would help determine if too much voltage is being consumed, although I had no trouble in the previous years.

2.  Could the power supply be the problem? Not supplying enough voltage when all the pixels are on.  I have another power supply which I could swap out.

3.  Do I need to update the firmware for the pixcon?  

4. Do I need to reboot the pixcon?

5.  Other suggestions?

Thanks, Rick

50 minutes ago, Cheski said:

but when we check the voltage on the board itself it reads 11.2 volts. 

11.2 volts is on the low side.  I assume that was measured with none of the pixels on.  Under load, that voltage is likely lower.  Most of the power supplies have a voltage adjustment.  If so, I would crank it up to around 13.0 or so.

51 minutes ago, Cheski said:

running DMX E1.31 Multicast

Although this is not the source of your problem, is there a reason that you are not using Unicast (what LOR calls "specify" in Network Preferences)?  From a networking perspective, multi-cast is evil unless there is a need to use it.

The Pixcon 16 configuration information suggest that if you are not an expert in IP addressing (which I am not)  you may wish to leave the board in multicast mode.  I will try to either adjust the voltage, change to another 12 volt connection on the PS, or swap out the PS.  Thanks for your response.  Just seems strange that it worked fine last year and it initially works for a couple of songs in the show and then freezes up.  Rick

Found the problem.  The negative wire on the power connector for bank 1 was arcing.  Either the screw securing the wire became loose or the screw was faulty.  The wire from the PS to the connector had been there for several years with no problem.  Thanks for your help.  Rick 

Happy you found the problem! Its a good warning to everyone here. Changes in temperature do indeed cause screws, nuts, bolts to sometimes loosen. Its the expansion and contraction of the metal parts. Something we all need to do each year is to check the tightness of the connections, not just power but pixel connectors and anything else.