Light-O-Rama Forums

Static "All Lights On" With Hardware Utility

262marc

Hi all!

Being somewhat of a Newbie in this world of dancing lights, I have a question regarding Static All On Lights.  I have added A 1602w 16 channel controller this season to kick off a testing phase to see if I would get addicted to this madness of Synced to Music Lights. Well, I'm hooked.  But as half of my family loves the busy lights dancing all over to the music, the other half loves the serene quiet glow of all clear icicles incans, straight strings, 9 channel megatree, floods etc. So the question is, can i use the hardware testing utility to turn all my lights on and leave it that way when I am not using the show? Or is that not recommended?  Just recently I tried it and seemed to work seamless, but didn't want to abuse the system thinking it was only for short term testing. I know others have said create a sequence of all on and run it that way, but did not see the need for that unless I would run a show and the turn "all on" at the end for a while. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by 262marc
Spelling error

First, I would strongly consider upgrading from S3 after the season to S6. It's a big jump, but S3 is no longer updated by LOR, and there are a lot of new features.

https://lorfaq.com/show-scheduling-example-1/
https://lorfaq.com/show-scheduling-example-2/

Check out these two articles. They will explain the scheduling to you, and give you ideas how to do what you want to do.

Yes, you can do what you want in the Hardware Utility, but it would be easier (and automatic running) to just write an all lights on sequence.  Then you can schedule it and it will just run when scheduled.  No manual intervention required.

I second what Don said about upgrading from S3.  But DO NOT DO IT NOW.  Wait till after the season.  There is a large learning curve when moving to S5 or S6 and you want to have most of the year to learn it.

BTW, I started with S3 in 2011.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree. I created a 1m long sequence of all lights on and then made a show with just that sequence repeating. If you also have an advanced license, you can add a shutdown sequence at the end before the lights turn off. I have 1s of fading down. I use this before and after the show starts.

HU is only reliable for leaving lights running if you have 1 network. As soon as you try to set it for another network, thing are iffy