Light-O-Rama Forums

How to configure new Pixie16D controller to control 10W (dumb) RGB Floods

Krtaylor865

I purchased a new Pixie16D controller thinking it could be used to control new 10W dumb RGB flood lights. I got stumped before I ever plugged anything up, as I realized there were no instructions for wiring the 4 colored wires (from the flood) to the green connectors in the controller..  Is there any way for me to do this, or am I better off to just return and get the right controller for dumb floods?  The pixie16d controller is NIB and (for now) will only be used to control the floods. I already have a separate Pixie16D controlling smart LED’s and wanted to add some flood lights.  Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks 

Well, the 10 watt flood page says they are used with the CMB24D, so you'd be much better off going that route.

I'm 98.96% sure the two are NOT compatible. 

3 minutes ago, Don said:

Well, the 10 watt flood page says they are used with the CMB24D, so you'd be much better off going that route.

I'm 98.96% sure the two are NOT compatible. 

Make that 100%.  You need a CMB24 for sure (I have 4 with a few (16) floods attached . 4 because there is driveway and walks between locations)

Thanks guys for the replies, and I think I’ve already called it a loss and moved on.. but you all don’t think there’s a way for me to wire up a flood and config it as a 1 bulb rgb? That was the only viable option I was hoping someone could confirm or deny.. I think the floods are 12v.. there’s a hot, a neutral, and other 2 wires I don’t know exactly what they’re for. I guess I’m curious IF it’s possible, or not…

hope everybody’s got the lights cranked up! I’m about to fire mine up tonight - with or without the floods!! ;)

Just now, Krtaylor865 said:

Thanks guys for the replies, and I think I’ve already called it a loss and moved on.. but you all don’t think there’s a way for me to wire up a flood and config it as a 1 bulb rgb? That was the only viable option I was hoping someone could confirm or deny.. I think the floods are 12v.. there’s a hot, a neutral, and other 2 wires I don’t know exactly what they’re for. I guess I’m curious IF it’s possible, or not…

hope everybody’s got the lights cranked up! I’m about to fire mine up tonight - with or without the floods!! ;)

If you do not need CONTROL (for now). Apply +12V and ground (-) to any of the flood's R, G or B leads.

or a simple Dumb controller  like https://www.amazon.com/Yiliaw-3-Port-Wireless-Control-Adapter/dp/B09MLZV8M3/ref=sr_1_20?crid=3A9H5L5WA38NP&keywords=rgb%2Bcontrol%2Bbox%2Bfor%2Bled%2Blights%2B12v%2B6a&qid=1670346847&s=hi&sprefix=rgb%2Blights%2Bcontrol%2Ctools%2C142&sr=1-20&th=1

(you will need to splice the LOR pigtails to the outputs). But why not order a CMB24, it uses the same power as the Pixie16 (and it may even mount in place of in your RTG unit. doe affect warranty) TN is zone 2 from NY?

I'm not sure if this would work, but since the LOR Singing Trees are used in "Dumb" mode, and I am using a Pixie16D to control my 2 LOR Singing Trees, would a dumb flood work if you set one of the ports on the Pixie 16D to a LOR Singing Tree? Then instead of using those 8 dedicated "dumb" channels in the sequence for the tree, would it be able to run 8 dumb floods from that port on those channels?  An example: setting Port 1 {also sets Port 2} to Ralphie or any other LOR Singing Tree in the HU Cosmic Controller Configuration area, the trees use 2 ports, so one port becomes useless for anything on it, example Port 3 on my Pixie16D is Ralphie, but he also uses Port 4 as well, just can't use any lighting commands in or on that port 4, or past channel 8.  Zuzu is on Port 5 {8 dumb channels}, and also Port 6 {unusable}.

Me, I would think this could possibly work, but I'm guessing the only reason it won't would be the RGB chip set used that controls the RGB L.E.D.'s is what determines such things, as to controller type?  Even though the type of chipset is selectable, but none match any of the chipsets offered in a dumb RGB device, then only a controller for that type of chipset would be useable?

The world of RGB nodes is still all fairly new to me, so I still haven't, or don't yet fully know, all the ins and outs of these RGB devices, so this is more a question than a statement of fact on my part.

I don't have any "dumb" RGB items to even test this out with, so I have no idea if this would even work or not.

All my Floodlights are smart RGB, so the Pixie16D worked out for all my RGB 12V products, my 3 Smart RGB Snowflakes, 8 - 10W Smart Floods and finally, Ralphie and Zuzu, my 2 LOR Singing Trees and the only props used in "Dumb" mode.

Is the Pixie16 an Assembled Controller or Just the Board?

I have 20 used CMB24 (Dumb RGB-4 Pin) Controllers with 12v 360w Power Supply... Willing to trade one for Pixie16 Board...

Edited by Jimehc

@Orville

A Pixie output is way different than a Dumb controller.  It supplies Power and a Data Stream.

Dumb mode on a Pixie means Treat a Smart STRING AS IF it were dumb (just 1 node). It is a logic thing, not electrical.

A CMB24 is more like an AC controller. Each output (is a channel), and it completes the power circuit for that channel (R, G or B). 

I built a test box for my Dumb RGB strings. It is 3 (momentary) switches and a 12V 1A Wall wort. That is it Dumb for Dumb strings/floods

15 hours ago, Orville said:

I'm not sure if this would work, but since the LOR Singing Trees are used in "Dumb" mode, and I am using a Pixie16D to control my 2 LOR Singing Trees, would a dumb flood work if you set one of the ports on the Pixie 16D to a LOR Singing Tree? Then instead of using those 8 dedicated "dumb" channels in the sequence for the tree, would it be able to run 8 dumb floods from that port on those channels?  An example: setting Port 1 {also sets Port 2} to Ralphie or any other LOR Singing Tree in the HU Cosmic Controller Configuration area, the trees use 2 ports, so one port becomes useless for anything on it, example Port 3 on my Pixie16D is Ralphie, but he also uses Port 4 as well, just can't use any lighting commands in or on that port 4, or past channel 8.  Zuzu is on Port 5 {8 dumb channels}, and also Port 6 {unusable}.

Me, I would think this could possibly work, but I'm guessing the only reason it won't would be the RGB chip set used that controls the RGB L.E.D.'s is what determines such things, as to controller type?  Even though the type of chipset is selectable, but none match any of the chipsets offered in a dumb RGB device, then only a controller for that type of chipset would be useable?

The world of RGB nodes is still all fairly new to me, so I still haven't, or don't yet fully know, all the ins and outs of these RGB devices, so this is more a question than a statement of fact on my part.

I don't have any "dumb" RGB items to even test this out with, so I have no idea if this would even work or not.

All my Floodlights are smart RGB, so the Pixie16D worked out for all my RGB 12V products, my 3 Smart RGB Snowflakes, 8 - 10W Smart Floods and finally, Ralphie and Zuzu, my 2 LOR Singing Trees and the only props used in "Dumb" mode.

Orville, wont work. Remember in the end the pixels used for pixies are "smart", The pixie uses macros to emulate dumb nodes. A dumb node can never be smart.

Glad to see you made it through the weather.

JR

3 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Orville, wont work. Remember in the end the pixels used for pixies are "smart", The pixie uses macros to emulate dumb nodes. A dumb node can never be smart.

Glad to see you made it through the weather.

JR

That's why I made it clear I was asking and NOT stating anything to be fact.  Smart pixels acting dumb, reminds me of me and some of my friends escapades when we were all back in school.  We knew the answers, but sometimes we just wanted to give our classmates a good laugh at the teacher's expense. LOL

So Smart Pixels can go either way, smart or dumb.  But once a dumb node, always a dumb node, and no getting around that except by replacing with smart pixel nodes and smart controllers.

Can a dumb controller run smart pixels at all?  Or are these dumb controllers totally incapable of using smart pixels?

3 hours ago, Orville said:

That's why I made it clear I was asking and NOT stating anything to be fact.  Smart pixels acting dumb, reminds me of me and some of my friends escapades when we were all back in school.  We knew the answers, but sometimes we just wanted to give our classmates a good laugh at the teacher's expense. LOL

So Smart Pixels can go either way, smart or dumb.  But once a dumb node, always a dumb node, and no getting around that except by replacing with smart pixel nodes and smart controllers.

Can a dumb controller run smart pixels at all?  Or are these dumb controllers totally incapable of using smart pixels?

Smart Pixels are ALWAYS smart.

It is the controller that does tricks to make them get channels 1,2,3, 50 times per port (resolution 1) instead of channels 1- 150 per port