Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16 Count/Channel

daczone

Can someone tell me the count of a ws2811 100 LED strip? 

In my head this is a single channel because I connect it to one PIXIE16 channel. 

So then it's numbered 1 - 300? for the RGB colors?

12 minutes ago, daczone said:

In my head this is a single channel because I connect it to one PIXIE16 channel. 

First of all, you did not connect it to a Pixei 16 CHANNEL.  You connected it to an output port on a Pixie 16.  That output port normally will have many channels on it.

13 minutes ago, daczone said:

So then it's numbered 1 - 300? for the RGB colors?

Each RGB pixel is three channels - one each for Red, Green, & Blue.  On a pixel strip, it's not the number of LEDs that matter, but rather the number of pixel chips that matters.  Sometimes there are three separate RGB LEDs driven by one pixel chip and sometimes there is only one RGB LED being driven by a chip.  In the photo below (or the link directly to it if your browser does not imbed the photo), the black rectangles are the WS2811 chips and in this case there are three RGB LEDs being driven off each chip.  This is the end of 30 RGB LEDs and 10 pixels per meter strip.  Just to add to the confusion, many times if there is only one RGB LED per chip, the chip is buried in the LED package so you don't see it at all.  One other tell tale is the number of RGB LEDs between the cutting points.  In this photo, there are three RGB LEDs between the one visible cutting point and the end of the strip.  In the case of this installation, there are 94 chips (slightly under two 5 meter strips soldered together), which makes 282 channels (94 x 3) and also 282 RGB LEDs.

Planter_strip_backfeed.jpg

http://www.newburghlights.org/photos/Planter_strip_backfeed.jpg

Normally the first channel is Red for the first pixel, channel 2 is Green for the first pixel, channel 3 is Blue for the first pixel, and channel 4 is Red for the second pixel - and so on.

Make sense?

39 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

First of all, you did not connect it to a Pixei 16 CHANNEL.  You connected it to an output port on a Pixie 16.  That output port normally will have many channels on it.

Each RGB pixel is three channels - one each for Red, Green, & Blue.  On a pixel strip, it's not the number of LEDs that matter, but rather the number of pixel chips that matters.  Sometimes there are three separate RGB LEDs driven by one pixel chip and sometimes there is only one RGB LED being driven by a chip.  In the photo below (or the link directly to it if your browser does not imbed the photo), the black rectangles are the WS2811 chips and in this case there are three RGB LEDs being driven off each chip.  This is the end of 30 RGB LEDs and 10 pixels per meter strip.  Just to add to the confusion, many times if there is only one RGB LED per chip, the chip is buried in the LED package so you don't see it at all.  One other tell tale is the number of RGB LEDs between the cutting points.  In this photo, there are three RGB LEDs between the one visible cutting point and the end of the strip.  In the case of this installation, there are 94 chips (slightly under two 5 meter strips soldered together), which makes 282 channels (94 x 3) and also 282 RGB LEDs.

Planter_strip_backfeed.jpg

http://www.newburghlights.org/photos/Planter_strip_backfeed.jpg

Normally the first channel is Red for the first pixel, channel 2 is Green for the first pixel, channel 3 is Blue for the first pixel, and channel 4 is Red for the second pixel - and so on.

Make sense?

Yes... I stepped away for a while.... And trying to get something going ASAP

I have a 20 foot 16 string tree. WS2811 and 100 chips, So 300 RGB LEDS. I replaced these strings as they used to have just 150 LEDS and 50 chips. 

My (sequences) shows are now only 1/2 tall. Trying to figure out how to fix this. 

I can't figure out how they are numbered. In HU, It goes from 1 to 100

I was pretty efficient in S4, but it wasnt working right with the visual display. I am muddling through S5 on another machine <- Hate this version.... 

Thank You for the quick response

Edited by daczone

In whatever pixel controller you're using, find out if you can set a group size.  Set that to 2.  That will make every two pixels behave as one.  You don't want to fix that in sequencing.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

In whatever pixel controller you're using, find out if you can set a group size.  Set that to 2.  That will make every two pixels behave as one.  You don't want to fix that in sequencing.

The only problem with this technique, is the whole (Pixie) controller gets the same Logical resolution. IMHO another reason 2 @ Pixie8 maybe better than a Pixie16 (or other combinations). But the LOR Manual for Pixies (P19 top) say only for strings of 50 :(

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Is this in the HU? Or somewhere else?  This is a ver 1 Pixie 16D controller and using a Gen4 MP3 player. 

Much Thanks!!!

Sorry, I don't use any Pixie controllers, so have no idea how you do that.  Different controllers have different levels of capability to set group sizes.  I don't know what the capability of doing so on the Pixie controllers.

52 minutes ago, daczone said:

Is this in the HU? Or somewhere else?  This is a ver 1 Pixie 16D controller and using a Gen4 MP3 player. 

Much Thanks!!!

Yes HU

See my post above.  100 nodes is the issue.

FWIW why not try it, AFAIK it will not damage anything

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Yes HU

See my post above.  100 nodes is the issue.

FWIW why not try it, AFAIK it will not damage anything

I have no setting for group size... yes I have spent 2 days fighting this issue. 

image.thumb.png.415128b1780385cc285a9479cc7ed0a3.png