Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR control unit won't connect

Daniel-usmc

Could the controller have givin itself a unit ID out of my search range? I had it set to 28, never any issues. I could Max it out and see what happens.

Max unit ID's, Found 0 Units. Earle, I think the unit has to be found in order to update the firmware. Even with Comm3 485HS it cannot find a unit, and the light is solid green. Blows my mind.

28 minutes ago, scarcebigfoot85 said:

Max unit ID's, Found 0 Units. Earle, I think the unit has to be found in order to update the firmware. Even with Comm3 485HS it cannot find a unit, and the light is solid green. Blows my mind.

Do not use "auto configure" after you already have comm ports assigned. To do so makes you continuously chase your comm ports. When I teach my class I call it the "Panic Button".

If you have a solid read light on the controller and your max unit ID is set to F0, it should find the controller if its on the correct comm port.

If you have a solid red light and it doesnt find it you are not on the correct comm port.

If you are on the correct comm port and have a red flashing status light that will never go solid that is the sign of a bad comm chip.

Try a controller reset and see if that works.

JR

I agree that the unit has to be found that's why I've never tried it before, but by chance it knows something is connected based on the green light being solid it might try to load. I just went thru 28 controllers I got from Georgia and found some funny things, but not like this. Is this the only CTB16PC that you have, can you try another, is there anyone close by that might have one that you could try? Then again all of you are out of my league on the software unless the HU has not changed. I have a CTB16PC  GEN2 right here trying follow the events , but all works as should. The only thing that I don't have that could be a problem is the other network and I'll leave that up to you. When you get into that I'm totally LOST.

So I connected Comm3 485HS, light goes solid green. Refreshed and found 0 units. HOWEVER went to light console and tested. Lights on CTB16 now work. I connect the cat5 from CTB16 going to my Pixie controllers and refresh, found 0 units. None of the pixies (3 total) can be controlled. I checked the pixie boxes and they are all flashing. Sholud I make the CTB16 last in the chain? Currently it is first.

Off hand it sounds like the port on the CTB16 that has the cable going to the first Pixie, or the cable is bad.  As a test, plug a KNOWN good cable from the USB to RS-485 adapter to ONE controller at a time.  Test with the cable in each RJ-45 port.  See if any of the ports result in failed communication.

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

Did a remote session with LOR help desk. And after about 40 minutes of trying different connections we came to the conclusion the controller board is damaged somehow. If anyone knows of a repair facility that can fix this type of equipment please let me know. Thank you all who responded for your input and help. 

At this late time in the season, all you can do is buy another one. LOR does repair them since they made them but it'll take a while to get it back. Your show isn't running anyway, so it wouldn't hurt. Sorry this happened to you. Last year, I had a USB/RS485 converter went bad on me. Bought another and sent the one in for repair, therefore its now fixed and a spare.