Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR control unit won't connect

Daniel-usmc

Hi, so I'm having some trouble getting the control unit to talk to my computer, I bought a cat5 to usb from light o rama directly to make sure not to have any issues. That part is working, I plug the cat5 into the control unit and the flashing light turns solid as it should. I go into the LOR Hardware application to connect, I couldn't get it to auto choose the port so I found my USB is running on comm 4. Then I try to get a unit number and it consistently says Found 0 units. I've tried to force send a unit label to the box and it won't. Also with nothing hooked up, the control box automatically turns on sockets 1, 7 and 10. I've updated drivers also with LOR drivers for the USB adapter. I tried resetting the control box with the jumper as well. Thank you!

Edited by Daniel-usmc

Are you referring to a controller as opposed to a control unit? If so, what model is it? As for the HU and comm, if your controller is a LOR controller such as a 16-channel AC controller, then the comm path is: Computer to LOR USB adapter, then to the controller. Its RS485 communication. Do not mistake the fact that even though its using a Cat5 cable, it is NOT ethernet(TCPIP). If you connect it to the wrong port, you will fry something. Now if you purchased an E1.31 based controller, again, the model number needed and know that its configuration is different. Since you are on 6.1.4, on the network page, what networks are showing up, if any?

I have a CTB16PC 16 channel controller.  I have a USB-RS485-HS connected exactly as you said. I made sure to do research before purchasing anything. On the network page, the RS485 shows up. I power up my controller, red light blinks and 3 seconds after I plug in the cat5 (which is plugged into the rs485 to usb, then usb into the computer usb port) the light goes solid as I believe it should? From there I've tried every possible troubleshooting option. I've tried to change the unit number while hitting the ignore errors, I've tried changing the unit number with "Any Unit" option to a unit 01 and then I refresh and it still says Found 0 units. I've used 2 different computers with 2 different cat5 cables, I've made sure the drivers were the exact one specified on LOR website on both computers. I've pulled the jumper, then turned the unit back on with the rapid flash, held rapid flash for 1 minute then I shut off the controller and inserted the jumper back in and turned it back on. I don't know what else to try. My computer in device manager is showing the serial port as comm4 as well which I manually set to in the HW app. 

COM3, 4 are what was used for real (DB9) Serial ports  (or dialup Modems) found on older computers (My laptop has a modem. My desktop has an Intel device on COM3)

Always look at the full list, it may not always be COM3.  The Solid LED sorta says LOR com listener found the adapter.

'Any unit is per COM#', does not scan for a LOR adapter.  If you have 3 LOR adapters, you scan  each one (COM#) as needed.

Having the same issue. I have not changed anything from last year. I thought I could just plug it all back in with no issues. My CTB16PC Gen3 cannot be found on Comm4. Zero units found. Comm3 works fine for all my pixel controllers. Tried multiple cat5 cables, nothing still. Reset the controller with the jumpers, nothing. Green light blinks like normal, never goes solid. I am running V4.4.14 Pro, Windows 10. Comm4 is LOR regular network on a USB485. Comm3 is enhanced with a USB485HS. 

Yes same here, I've plugged the USB into 5 of my USB ports, on front and back and still says comm 4 under device manager every time. I've even Uninstalled the drivers and unplug everything. Reinstall drivers and plug it up to a different port and still Comm 4. 

regarding com port assignment to a lor adapter HS or not...the port assigned is like an address, it does not change no matter what usb port or powered hub port you plug it into. You might as well write the number on the adapter.  It will always be that address, say COM3 for fun.  You can reassign a port number or COM # by accessing your Device Manager as stated above when it is plugged in to a usb port.  However, sometimes it doesn't show in the list until you use the VIEW tab at the top and SHOW all hidden devices. Right click on the USB adapter and go to advanced tab to change it to an unused COM if you want.  I was having COM3 issues on one network so I switched it to COM1 to help resolve my zero controllers found after refresh in the HU.  

I'm starting to think that my controller was damaged somehow. But it hasnt been touched since last year. Even the computer that I use is only for Light o Rama. I never use it until I pull it out for shows. I just dont get it. Comm4 pops up just like in the tutorial. Nothing else connected. 

have you tried plugging the COM4 CTB16PC Gen3 cat5 into the COM3 HS adapter and refreshing the HU on COM3 to see if it identifies the CTB16PC Gen3?  

Tried the 485HS (comm3). No luck. However the light on the CTB16pc would stop blinking for roughly 15 seconds, like a connection was made. The comm listener screen will show a connection established message. Still shows 0 units found. Could it be something in my show computer? I Have another one I can try. Just have to set it up.

No luck with the other computer. I have tried multiple Cat5 cables. I am assuming that when the light is flashing green on the controller it is working correctly. If that is the case I dont know what else to do. 

1 hour ago, Crimson Lane Lights Etown said:

regarding com port assignment to a lor adapter HS or not...the port assigned is like an address, it does not change no matter what usb port or powered hub port you plug it into. You might as well write the number on the adapter.  It will always be that address, say COM3 for fun.

Not true.  They CAN change - hence the reason I suggested verifying it via the Device Manager.  Although far more stable then they used to be, the comm port number for a device CAN change.  Back in the old days (early days of USB), you could almost count on a comm port number for a USB based device changing very regularly, however each version of Windows has improved that.

I used HU auto configure. Comm4 (Regular 485) shows in device manager. Run a search for units, 0 Units Found. The funny thing is that when I connect my 485HS (Comm3) to my controller, the green light goes solid, as it should when its connected and ready to go. Hit refresh to look for units, again 0 Units Found. I even cleaned the pins on the 485 thinking they were dirty. 

Looking at the comm listener screen it shows my Aux A network on Comm3 opens fine. I dont think Comm listener is attempting to connect to Comm4. Or its looking for Comm4. It says listening on port 8837 whatever that means.

OK Guys I've never tried it but, as a shot in the dark, if the controller is connected to the computer with a solid green light can the firmware be updated ????

I just went back and read this thread and has anyone checked the MAX UNIT ID in the upper right of the HU another shot in the dark, this was never mentioned before. Set it to 100 or higher.

Edited by EARLE W. TALLEY
more info