Light-O-Rama Forums

Help Brian - file not saving issue

k6ccc

@BrianBrudererHelp.  I am editing a sequence (your TSO O Come All Ye Faithful) to add the rest of my yard.  Despite what my profile says, I am doing this in 5.6.10.  Inserted SuperStar Effects for my almost everything in the yard group (as I normally do), made some changes in SuperStar and exited.  Sequencer asked if I wanted to save - of course I answered yes, and all appeared perfectly normal.  My changes play correctly in Sequencer.  Next was to save the sequence with a new filename.  I got this error message:

5.6.10_Save-error.png

http://www.newburghlights.org/images/5.6.10_Save-error.png

The saved .loredit file was about 4 MB instead of the expected 21 MB. 

As part of my attempt to fix, I reopened via Insert SuperStar Effects, the changed sequence, and my recent changes were present in SuperStar.  I did a SaveAs in SuperStar so that I would at least have my sequencing save somewhere.  Made one minor change (so there would be on), and exited SuperStar.  Sequencer reported that there was no data from SuperStar, and the one change was not there.  Repeated this a couple times with a slightly different change each time.  Each time Sequencer reported no data from SuperStar.

As a next to last resort, I open in Sequencer the previously saved version of the .loredit file.  Opened SuperStar via Insert SuperStar Effect on my almost everything.  Once in SuperStar, I opened the previously saved .sup file, and it looked fine in SuperStar.  Exited SuperStar, and this time Sequencer admitted that there was data from SuperStar, and it appeared to import it fine.  The changed that were reflected in the saved .sup file showed correctly in Sequencer.  Tried to SaveAs with a new name and again, got the above error message.

The last resort was to exit Sequencer, reboot, start Sequencer and to the previous step again..  Did not help.

Any ideas?

Light-O-Rama S5 Sequencer (64-bit), Version 5.6.10
Pro Edition
Copyright 2016-2022 Light-O-Rama, Inc.
Registered to: Jim Walls

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel® Core™ i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
Intel® UHD Graphics 630
OpenGL version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 457.51

Someone else found this bug just a few weeks ago. In their case it was caused by using the degree symbol in an image name. The degree symbol gets applied to the name of an image if you rotate it. The same bug happens if you put a degree symbol in the name of an image action or the name of a text action.

The bug has been fixed in the most recent release of S6, (v6.1.6).

Also, if you send an email to brian@superstarlights.com I can give you instructions on how to get the SSEdit.exe with the fix in it.

No images that I have added - although your original file has some.  I'll take a look later today.

PM sent with my E-Mail for the latest version.

Thanks Brian

Problem solved - and it was not the degrees symbol.  There was one of those in one of the images that were in the source file I bought from you.  That did not cause an issue in either 5.6.10 or v2211.17.

The problem (and I should have remembered it) was that I had named two groups "Eves & Roofline" and "Roses, Steps, & Tree rings" (without the quotation marks).  I was very carefully pasting only certain groups and trying to save the file after exiting SuperStar, and documenting what worked and what didn't.  Finally realized that those two groups were the only ones with non-alpha numeric characters.  Removed the commas and ampersands, and it all worked.  Kinda remembered that the commas were OK, so put the commas back so those two groups became "Eves and Roofline" and "Roses, Steps, and Tree rings".  Worked perfectly.

So the ultimate solution was that I could not have an ampersand in a group name.  I think I remember discovering that some while back.  SuperStar was OK with the ampersand, but not Sequencer.