Light-O-Rama Forums

G4 MP3 Director - Power

KLP66

Hello all, very much newbie here.  Just unpacked all my new lights, controller (Pixie8) and G4 MP3 Director.

I was able to connect to my Controller, and ID it and find the network, I connected one string of lights and tested them out.  I then proceeded to try and connect the director the controller.  I set up the controller through my laptop, which will not be running the lights, but I have built the light program already.  

When I connect the Director to the Controller it is not powering up, from the documentation I understand the controller should be able to power the Director.  Any ideas on why it will not power up through the network ports?  I tried my 50' cable provided, and additional other cables that I have on hand.

Thanks in advance.

What kind of controller is the closest, and how long of a cable between it and the director?  As I recall, the docs say 25 feet (don't hold me to that, I don't use a Director).

I have a couple of pixie 8s but don’t use them for accessory power to the director. 

i think the Pixie has to be running in 12V mode (not 5V) and you have to install Jumper JP2 (or something like that). I can check the manual tomorrow unless someone else knows for sure. 

• Like 1

If connecting Director to first controller (New Pixie8) you must install a Jumper on JP2 header on the New Pixie8 Board - (to pass Aux Power)

Edited by Jimehc

7 hours ago, MattJ said:

I have a couple of pixie 8s but don’t use them for accessory power to the director. 

i think the Pixie has to be running in 12V mode (not 5V) and you have to install Jumper JP2 (or something like that). I can check the manual tomorrow unless someone else knows for sure. 

Thanks for the heads up, I must have read right over this. 
Thank you.

I've run 100' cat5 cable from my CTB16PC Gen1V2 controller to my Director and never had any issues with it.  Shorter is better, but if you run longer cat5 cables {over50 feet} make sure the cat5 is at least 6" or more from ANY power cords!   When I used the 100' cat5, it was laid out so that it was either a single cable or with other cat5 cables that branched out to other areas of my display.

And as others have said, if using an RGB Controller, and it has the capability of supplying AUX power to the Director via the Regular {Net 1} network, they can power it, but usually require a jumper to do so.  But only in Net 1 {Regular Network) on the Director, it WILL NOT power up if any of the other networks are used to try and power it, like AUX A {Net 2}, AUX B (Net 3) or AUX C {Net 4} if you have an N4-G4 Director, it won't ever power up.  All power is run through Net 1 only and can be either of Net 1's cat5 jacks or by use of the LOR AC adapter power jack on the back of the Director.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 8:04 AM, KLP66 said:

Thanks for the heads up, I must have read right over this. 
Thank you.

Yes , 12V to power a director. Director requires 9-10V

JR

• Like 1