Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie Tree Not Working

Ishida37

I purchased a 2 packages from Wowlight that included sequences.  I have LOR release 5.6.10.  The first I bought last year was the 48 output, then this year I added the Pixie Tree.  I was able to load the sequences for the S5 48 and then had a subsequence in each 48 sequence that added the Pixie Tree.  When I run the show the 48 output portion works fine, but the Pixie Ribbon Tree does not come on.  I have USB48S High Speed Communication Adaptor for the Pixie Tree, that connects to the computer as well as a USB485 for the 48 running separately to the computer.

I have read and tried things to get it to work, with no success.  I noticed in the the Pixie Controller the red light just keeps blinking.

Is there something that I have not done correctly or still need to set up?

Thank you as a beginner and getting hooked on this, I want to ensure I am able to make it work.

I would suggest checking your network settings for the USB485HS network to make sure that Enhanced is not set for the network settings.  According to your profile your license level for the software is Advanced.  In the LOR License level comparison, that level of license does not support Enhanced Networking.   The Pixie user guide indicates the Pixie can be utilized using normal network speeds but you may experience lag depending on the number of pixels you are using.

I did check and it is not checked.  I have 2 USB's, one is the USB485 that is running the original 48 output show and then recommended to run a separate USB485-HS for just the Pixie Ribbon Tree.  Have both plugged in computer, the 48 is working, just not the Pixie Tree.

What would cause the blinking light?  I downloaded the drivers again and when I refresh in the hardware utility is shows 3 devices on the COM3, but does not show the new controller.  I tried the Network Preference, it only shows COM3 and nothing else.  When I run the autoconfig, it shows non, COM2, COM3 & COM4

Any thoughts?

Thank You

Unplug both of your USB to RS-485 adapters.  Open up the Windows Device Manager.  Expand the section for section for "Ports".  Note what Comm ports (if any) are listed.  Plug in ONE of you USB adapters.  Note what Comm Port number shows up.  Plug in the second USB adapter and again, note what Comm Port number shows up.

Open Hardware Utility.  DO NOT EVER press the Auto-configure button if you are using multiple network.  Under Manual Select on the left, select one of the Comm Ports that were confirmed in the Device Manager.  In the upper right corner, make sure the Max Unit ID is set to F0 (yes that will make it take quite a while to scan).  In the center section of the HU, at the top press the Refresh button - wait for it to scan.  When it's completed, look in the dropdown to the right of the Refresh button and see if the expected controllers show up for that network.  Repeat the test for the other confirmed Comm Port.  Between the two Comm Ports, do all of your controllers show up as expected?

Open Network Preferences.  Make sure that the two networks have the correct Comm Port numbers set.  Save any changes.

When you are trying to play the show, are you playing a show from the show player, or are you playing a sequence from the Sequencer?

4 hours ago, basis21b said:

I would suggest checking your network settings for the USB485HS network to make sure that Enhanced is not set for the network settings.  According to your profile your license level for the software is Advanced.  In the LOR License level comparison, that level of license does not support Enhanced Networking.   The Pixie user guide indicates the Pixie can be utilized using normal network speeds but you may experience lag depending on the number of pixels you are using.

"ENHANCED" is REQUIRED. Yes a pixie can (perhaps) operate on slower speeds however that speed still needs to be Enhanced.  Ref page 5 in the manual. I do know almost every page by memory.

edit     - Enhanced comes only with a Pro License.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
Enhanced....

Ok, did what k6ccc noted and was able to identify COM3 for 48 and COM4 for Pixie on the refresh doing each in hardware utility.

Open Network preference, but it only shows Regular COM3 500K.  COM4 does not show up?

One thing to note, in the hardware utility after I had refreshed the COM3 and validated the controllers, moving to COM4 and hitting refresh it asked if I wanted to add this port as part of show, what should my response had been yes or no.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance, also should I upgrade to Pro

forgot using sequence for show

6 minutes ago, Ishida37 said:

One thing to note, in the hardware utility after I had refreshed the COM3 and validated the controllers, moving to COM4 and hitting refresh it asked if I wanted to add this port as part of show, what should my response had been yes or no.

NO!

Open Network preference, but it only shows Regular COM3 500K.  COM4 does not show up?

Presumably you are intending to use AuxA for the Pixie.  On the AuxA line, select Com4 - you have to add it manually.  May have to click the "Show all networks" checkbox to see it.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance, also should I upgrade to Pro

If you are going to run pixels, yes.

Edited by k6ccc

What Jim said. The label the adapters Regular, AuxA and never click the auto configure or Use for show ever again.

First step is build the Pixel tree in your Preview.  Then it should appear in the Sequencer.  Note that by default any new prop will only show up in the "Show all" view (the default view).  If you are using a different view in Sequencer, you will need to edit that view to add the new prop.

Thanks to everyone, so now have a steady light in the controller box, but no lights on the Ribbon Tree.  I created a preview in the sequencer adding the Ribbon Tree as a subsequence to each sequence.  I still don't see the Ribbon Tree in the preview, so that may be my problem.  I have one sequence that has a ribbon tree in the preview, but the others don't.

This is definitely a project

4 hours ago, dibblejr said:

"ENHANCED" is REQUIRED. Yes a pixie can (perhaps) operate on slower speeds however that speed still needs to be Enhanced.  Ref page 5 in the manual. I do know almost every page by memory.

edit     - Enhanced comes only with a Pro License.

JR

Apologies for the thread-jack but I did not appreciate the above response.

Ahem...  From page 5 of the manual:

Unlike most multi-string pixel controllers, the Pixies do not require Ethernet. The Pixies run on a LOR network in either normal or enhanced mode at speeds up to and including 1Mbit/sec. An enhanced network is required to properly utilize these controllers. Enhanced mode allows for a much higher pixel change rate than a normal network.

Note the underscored portions.  The document does not specifically indicate that enhanced is definitely required.  The word required is qualified by the words "to properly utilize" and the follow-up sentence indicating that enhanced mode allows for a higher pixel change rate.  This is why my statement to the OP suggested they be careful on the number of pixels being deployed if they were to choose to use a regular network due to the license level it appears they own.

The Pixie 4 I have deployed in my yard has been working just fine, for a number of years, on a regular LOR network.  I also use an ELL to get the signal to the Pixie. However I have a VERY limited number of pixels that the pixie is controlling. 

For those of you wondering: Why would he do such a thing?, here is the reason
The prop is located over 100' from my house.  To run Cat5 cable out that far in the land of fuzzy tailed, tree rats just gives them new chew toys each time I would replace the cable.  One grows tired of that after a period of time.

Edited by basis21b
Apology for thread-jack

Jim, good day.

Don't know if you seen my last post, but was able to get controller to have steady light, bought PRO, but last night tree was still dead.  I have to be doing something wrong in the sequencer.  I bought pre-made sequences and subsequenced the pixie ribbon tree sequences under the S5 LOR 5.6.10 sequencer, but still no tree in display or tree lighting up.

Any thoughts on the basics that I am missing?

Thank You

On 11/29/2022 at 8:13 PM, basis21b said:

Apologies for the thread-jack but I did not appreciate the above response.

Ahem...  From page 5 of the manual:

Unlike most multi-string pixel controllers, the Pixies do not require Ethernet. The Pixies run on a LOR network in either normal or enhanced mode at speeds up to and including 1Mbit/sec. An enhanced network is required to properly utilize these controllers. Enhanced mode allows for a much higher pixel change rate than a normal network.

Cant make this stuff up!

Look here as well, then go try to run your Pixie series controller at a low speed. Note you will not see a Blue Check mark next to the pixies at anything lower than 500. Try again tomorrow.

How Many Lights Can I Connect? | Light-O-Rama (lightorama.com)

JR

Edited by dibblejr

• The topic was locked