Light-O-Rama Forums

Is it possible to use a 3rd party Ethernet to USB adapter on a 16 channel controller?

Commodore

My laptop does not work with the USB-RS485 Adapter with  booster  for unknown reasons, and I’d like to know if the light o rama controllers can work with a generic Ethernet to usb adaptor. 

This isn't USB to Ethernet.

It's USB to the RS485 Protocol, thus USB-> Ether won't work.

Is this your first year? Do you have the RS485 drivers on the computer? Did you configure the network? 

If "any other adapter" is a USB -> RS495 converter, then maybe.

If simply plugging in the device causes the system to crash, then it's possible you have some sort of Driver conflict. Any other RS485 adapter would use the same driver, and probably have the same issue. Your focus might be better spent determine the reason of the crash.

20 minutes ago, Commodore said:

Could any other adapters work? Whenever the adapter is plugged in my laptop crashes/bluescreens

Booster? Use a Powered USB hub. That device takes more power than a standard adapter and it may be crashing the internal USB HW

Another thought is to remove and reinstall the USB drivers

Use the device manager:  View: show hidden devices: remove the USB drivers for serial devices

Try a different USB port. Could have a short on one port.

Other than that, possible bad drivers were auto-loaded by Windows, need manually removed, and the LOR drivers loaded. That would need to be done by someone Windows knowledgeable. 

I've never used the power injecting one before, but the idea to use a powered USB hub sounds pretty good. Amazon basics sells a pretty good one that's reliable and I'm sure Office Depot would have them. 

• The topic was locked