Light-O-Rama Forums

CPC Tree Package (Pixie 8) Problem

dackjob2

First year and during the summer sale I purchased a CPC tree package (pixie 8), N4-G4-MP3 director, and a LOR SD card with LOR sequencing/music. This evening everything was working. After 2 hours the director was on and playing music. The pixel tree was not working. The controller had power (green light on) and the “led red light” was blinking. I did a reset and the pixels came on and were chasing. Unplugged everything and after everything restarted the music played but the pixels did not come on?? Am I missing something?

“Chasing”- was this just in a test mode?

When you say the tree worked for two hours- was it playing the written sequence or just looked like it was?

Through helping others I have found they are excited about the tree working but it wasn’t set up properly and was playing lights from other props. That is why I ask.

Have you looked at the sequence in your playback window and also on the props to check that it was actually playing the lights as the sequence was written?

What is the unit ID of your tree and other controllers sup to be? I know the answer if you are using an LOR sequence. I just want to ensure you know the correct answer.

What is the actual unit ID as found in teh Hardware Utility?

That may be a good starting point for now.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Thanks for the reply.

1) I referred to chasing as the manual used that terminology when using the controller reset button. I pushed the reset button and after several seconds the pixels came on in solid colors moving down each pixel string at the same time and once at the end it changed to another solid color.

2) So I purchased a LOR card with their sequencing to 12 different songs. I’m using the N4-G4 director so I did not put the SD card into my computer. On the director screen it showed no errors and appears to show each track number as it plays. The tree appeared to be following the sequence.       

3) And I am no different, since I didn’t do the sequencing to the music on my own in hopes of not having any issues or glitches. I purchased the LOR SD card with the director and I assumed (I know) it would plug and playish. I am not running any other thing or props other than the pixel tree. So I did no “set up” other than adding the card, Cat5 cable, speaks, and power. I did get a power adapter for the director. 

4) I have not looked at the sequencing on the play back window, to be honest I did not see in the manual how to pull that up on the director’s screen?

5)They sent a page with the controller, which do not have in front of me at this time, but I believe it was “40”? I can check tomorrow for sure as I’m at work currently. And I have not accessed the hardware utility as I am not certain on how to exactly access it.

i really do appreciate the help and I apologize for my ignorance as it is my first LOR purchase/set up. 

Ok, sounds like you are heading in the right direction.

Here is what I suggest to everyone.

You will need an LOR RS485 adapter in order to do this. If you do not have an adapter disregard however some settings cannot be check or configured without one. Some day maybe we can get that on the sales page for the pixie series controller.

If you have an adapter turn "off" all of the dip switches on the controller and connect the adapter if you havent already done so to a USB port on your computer. 

Next plug in the controller to a power source and then to the adapter with a cat5 (recommended or cat6 cable) DO NOT plug the controller directly to a PC, router or NW switch. Must use an LOR adapter

Top Right corner of the HArdware Utility - ensure the "MAx Unit ID" is set to F0. This will ensure if there was a factory error in setting the unit ID that it will be found.

In the top center select "refresh".

If you get a pop up box that says something about comm listener using the port just tell it to stop using the port.

Then hit refresh

It will take about 3 mins to search for the controller. 

At this time the status light on the controller should be solid. If it is flashing it will not be found and you should check your cable and connections.

Once the controller is found you will see the information populate in the search bar. If you turned off the dip switches you should see "Found 1 Unit  01 pixie8 ver 1....  please record that data for later use if needed.  If you did not turn off the dip switches and it was factory set for the tree you should see a 40 where  I typed 01.

If you did turn off the dip switches on the bottom left is where you will change the 01 to 40. Old unit ID 01, New Unit ID 40 "change unt ID. A small box will tell you it has been changed.

Next to check the pixel type, Recently I have seen the new pixies come with a generic pixel type. You will need to ensure it is set at WS2811 800 khtz

On the same screen there is a "Configuration" button, bottom center, select that

On the next Pop up screen you will see "Cosmic Color Ribbon - Pixie Configuration" , select that

The next pop up will be this and wide rectangle, right under that rectangle on the left is "advance" select that

The next pop up will be a large square box and it will show you all 8 ports and info at the top

1- Pixel type - if it is not WS2811 800khtz, use the drop down to select it

2- RGB color order

3- number of pixels per port is normally correct for your tree 50

4- Logical Resolution - 50 (never change this)

Once those 4 items are correct save or apply the changes. You will see another small box saying the changes have been accepted

Once you have all of that and you reconnect your controller to your director and follow the director instructions, your tree should light.

That should give you something to work on.

If you do not have an adapter double check the dip switches on the controller to ensure the unit ID on the controller is correct. If only a small portion of lights work you will need an adapter to configure the controller. There is no way around it unless you have someone local that has an adapter you could use.

JR

While a Black adapter can be used TO CONFIGURE any LOR RS485 compatible, spring for the (formerly) Red, HS adapter, that way you can run a Pixie Sequence from your PC if needed. 💡

4 hours ago, TheDucks said:

While a Black adapter can be used TO CONFIGURE any LOR RS485 compatible, spring for the (formerly) Red, HS adapter, that way you can run a Pixie Sequence from your PC if needed. 💡

A black adapter will run a sequence fine but all bets are off with a show.  In the OP's case they are using a Director for shows so any, even a booster if they can borrow one can be used to at least get them set up in the HU.

JR

So it appears the tree stops working once all 12 songs/sequences play. Then the director repeats the songs but it’s sending the info to the controller.

Not sure. I assume with the unit only being 4-6 month old that it’s either current version or maybe 1 off. Looking everything over once the tree stops working the only way to get it to “work” again is to unplug the controller and the director for while. Then everything will work for the first 12 songs/sequences. Looking at the LED light, with the way it flashes (blinks twice per second) means the controller booted correctly but is not connected to a active network… which isn’t true as it’s hook to the director, which is playing music, etc.? The ID is 40 and looking at the id switches on the controller they are correct ( 0100 0000). Using a 10’ cat5e cable so voltage drop etc due to length shouldn’t be an issue? The director is set to play the “show” on loop so that seems correct?

BTW A Basic License is not enough to do sequencing on a Pixie8 (AFAIK HU can configure on, but that is it)

You will need Pro, if you add another Pixie as only that can do Enhanced mode.

Review https://store.lightorama.com/pages/how-many-lights-can-i-connect to see where you fall in the chart.

Ok. Thanks. Trying to stay in the shallow end of the pool for now! Maybe once I get the controller hardware, director, and the tree to even stay on past a few songs/sequences..

5 minutes ago, dackjob2 said:

Ok. Thanks. Trying to stay in the shallow end of the pool for now! Maybe once I get the controller hardware, director, and the tree to even stay on past a few songs/sequences..

Just stay out of the swamp. I hear there are Gators waiting for Lighter to turn their back.

So just wanted to thank dibblejr and TheDucks for all your help. I think whatever the problem was has been solved. I replaced the cat5e cable and tried different ports. Still had the same problem. I put them on their own power and tried to isolate the cat cable from the power cords the best I could. I then went and re-entered the day, time, showtime start time, and showtime end time. Last night it played without shutting off. So I’m hopeful I’m out of the swamp!