Light-O-Rama Forums

MP3 Controller and CTB16PC networking issues

JEShore

I am having networking issues on my 4 controller setup. Here is how it is configured:

Address 04 - LOR1602Wg3-MP3 Controller  Firmware 32LD G3 V1.17 - Net Port 1 Assumed Bad - NEW ISSUE THIS YEAR
Address 03 - CTB16PC - Firmware: V4.02
Address 02 - CTB16PC - Firmware: V4.02
Address 01 - CTB16PC - Firmware: V4.02    - NET PORT 1 known Bad
Software:  Light-O-Rama S5 Sequencer (64-bit), Version 5.6.10

I used this last year same configuration w/o any issues (although I was on version S4 of the software).   I just started testing the 4 boxes and I am unable to get the HU Utiliity to see all 4 boxes at once. After hours of testing I discovered that Net Port 1 on the MP3 controller is now bad.   I have it daisy changed in the following order:

BOX 4 - Net Port 2  --->   BOX 2-Net Port 1 
BOX 2 - Net Port 2 --->  BOX 3 - Net Port 1
BOX 3 - Net Port 2 ---> BOX 1 - Net Port 2  (only good port)

When boxes attached this way all network leds are steady - I run a program off of SD card on MP3 Controller and circuits on BOX 2 do not respond.  I am trying to get a Ethernet Splitter cable (Thanksgiving is tomorrow of course) so maybe that will allow me to see all devices thru the HU utility but does anyone have a theory why Box 2 (which tests fine if I plug the USB385 cable directly into it) is non operational when in the daisy chain?

I have swapped out all Ethernet cables (several times) I reset Box 2 by pulling off the normal operations jumper.  I even changed the order of the daisy change but Box 2 is continuing to be none responsive.  If it was a bad ethernet port wouldn't the boxes down the chain be non operational too?

Any help would be appreciated, I am installing this on Friday.

UPDATE:   I tried a card created last year and it works - so what is different?   Do I need to update the firmware on the boxes?

Well....I updated the firmware and now I get intermittent connectivity via the USB485 connector.   When it connects it shows "Boatloader C32G3" but no response to any commands on HU program.   Basically a brick now - any ideas?  I made sure I had the correct firmware file "G3-MP3 5.38 firmware"

Help!

1 hour ago, JEShore said:

Well....I updated the firmware and now I get intermittent connectivity via the USB485 connector.   When it connects it shows "Boatloader C32G3" but no response to any commands on HU program.   Basically a brick now - any ideas?  I made sure I had the correct firmware file "G3-MP3 5.38 firmware"

Help!

Try resetting the controller page 21 in the manual

Microsoft Word - CTB32LDg3_Man.doc (lightorama.com)

I have the LOR1602MP3 which has the DC-MP3 Show Director and a LOR1602W inside one box.  I think the problem is that I used either the wrong version of the Firmware or the wrong firmware for the combined unit.  Do you know what firmware file I should use or how I can find it?

30 minutes ago, JEShore said:

I have the LOR1602MP3 which has the DC-MP3 Show Director and a LOR1602W inside one box.  I think the problem is that I used either the wrong version of the Firmware or the wrong firmware for the combined unit.  Do you know what firmware file I should use or how I can find it?

My apologies I thought I had copy and pasted the correct mnaual but I was helping another person on FB and must not have hit the copy and it pasted the same anual they were needed. Here is the manual for your system. Let me see if I can find the fw.

LOR1602MP3_Man_Web.pdf (lightorama.com)

EDIT- I believe your 1602 fw is correct based on the FW download page.

Edited by dibblejr
EDIT

I was using the wrong firmware.  There is one specific to the MP3+16 channel controller.  If anyone is reading this in the future the firmware that was originally on my unit LOR1602Wg3-MP3 Controller  Firmware 32LD G3 V1.17 is correct and the most current version.

I am back to working with last years S4 show card - the S5 card still drops off box 2.  I will just use last years card...too bad cause I made a new show this year that is pretty good!

If anyone knows how to get S5 working on these boxes let me know-

2 minutes ago, JEShore said:

I was using the wrong firmware.  There is one specific to the MP3+16 channel controller.  If anyone is reading this in the future the firmware that was originally on my unit LOR1602Wg3-MP3 Controller  Firmware 32LD G3 V1.17 is correct and the most current version.

I am back to working with last years S4 show card - the S5 card still drops off box 2.  I will just use last years card...too bad cause I made a new show this year that is pretty good!

If anyone knows how to get S5 working on these boxes let me know-

You may want to submit a HD ticket to see what LOR thinks about the situation.

Happy Lighting and Happy Holidays

JR

Exactly what I thought too.   I will write up a ticket asap.   At least I have last years SD card!

Backup to the backup of the backup....rules to live by.

I don't have that setup but I did have a new show created by the hub on an SD card not work. Several issues. I reformatted, rebuilt the show, then even worse. I found out it was the SD card. Didn't have an issue before but if just one sector has an issue I don't think the directors work with them well even though windows can ignore it. Try a completely different SD card (not your working one) and see if you still have an issue.

I'm currently on S6 and don't have the MP3 director (do have a G3 mini director), but beware of using ELOR, as the CTB16PC doesn't like the enhanced protocol (newer G3 AC controllers are OK, but the ones I have don't announce that there are a CTB16PC).  Verify that port one is a standard and not enhanced network; you might also find that port 2 is not enhanced and why it is working.

Edited by randyf