Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR technology in Europe

XiaoRZ

Hello everyone,

I am new here. I live in Europe (Czech Republic) and I would like to start with computer animated xmas show. I haven't found any european forum about lighting show, so I am asking here. I already checked AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual101 light manual, but I am a bit confused. I thought about purchasing some LOR technology (240v controllers since we have 230v network). I would like to ask you if my lights will work with LOR effects (shimmer, fade, etc.). I have got lights (Schuko power plugs) with transformers to drop the voltage down from 230V to 31V, photo below:

Thanks for help!

IMG_20221121_171206.jpg

No, the lights powered by the transformer pictured will not dim or shimmer. If the dimming or shimmer effect is applied to that transformer, it will eventually fail. (I speak from an experience I had with a 24V transformer that I accidentally dimmed. It didn't fail immediately, but after a few hours, indicating the failure was probably due to overheating.)

The label pictured shows an AC output, which suggests that this is a simple transformer, not a switching power supply. This means that while the dimming or shimmer effects cannot be used, the lights should turn on immediately when the channel is switched on.

Note however that DC lights (that is mostly 5 or 12 volt RGB devices) will work fine using LOR DC or pixel controllers.  You use a DC power supply that supplies the proper voltage from your 230 volt supply.

1 hour ago, Steven said:

No, the lights powered by the transformer pictured will not dim or shimmer. If the dimming or shimmer effect is applied to that transformer, it will eventually fail. (I speak from an experience I had with a 24V transformer that I accidentally dimmed. It didn't fail immediately, but after a few hours, indicating the failure was probably due to overheating.)

The label pictured shows an AC output, which suggests that this is a simple transformer, not a switching power supply. This means that while the dimming or shimmer effects cannot be used, the lights should turn on immediately when the channel is switched on.

That IS a switching supply. But you are correct that you should not even TRY to dim or twinkle.

Also, it appears to Be DC out (note the polarity marks for the output)  I am having problems reading the  label. Is it 31V out ??

Is there any other control module between this and the actual lamps?

14 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Also, it appears to Be DC out (note the polarity marks for the output)

Thanks. I didn't notice that. I assumed the ~ symbol meant "AC", but at closer look, it probably means "approximately".

In this case, you can't even use it for synchronized lighting, because as a DC switching supply, it probably takes a half second or more to start.

A LOR DC controller could be a solution in this case, although to control multiple strings, the power supplies would have to be wired in parallel, which may not work.