Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 16 Issues with N4-G4-MP3 Director

Tumblegrass Lights

Hello,

I have a Pixie 16 controller that I am using with a N4-G4-MP3 Director, also in the show is a Pixie 8, 2 Pixie 2 and 2 16 channel AC controllers. On the Pixie 16 when I runt it in test mode, all of the pixels work, but when I start the show I have some ports that will not work and some ports that only have work ( 1 arch lights up about half of the string and then just stops and will not light up any more lights on that string or the other arch attached to the line). I have checked to make sure all pigtails are connected in the controller box and all strings work in test mode. 

I have built the sd cards in both 1000k and 500k networks and they both have the same issues. Also everything is set to the same network.

The pixie 8 and other controllers are not having these issues.

Any suggestions for possible fixes would be appreciated. 

Thank You

Older AC controllers can not do 500K (FW 4.x is a clue). Those can not be on the same network  with Pixies.

Since you have a N4-G4, just assign those  in you sequence to Aux A (and connect those to the second port). One more piece of CAT5 back to the director

I use an N4-G4 and I put my Pixie16 on a network by itself.  My display consists of an older Gen1V2 CTB16PC on the Regular Network at 115.4K NON-Enhanced, my Pixie 16 which controls Ralphie, Zuzu, 6 H.C. Floodlights, 1 Boscoyo Chroma Cross and 3 H.C. Snowflakes is on Net 1 {Aux A} - 1,000K, Enhanced, then I have 8 original CCB100D 5V RGB Controllers on Net 2 {Aux B} - 500K, Enhanced.

Haven't had any issues with this set up for my display.

Are you sure you haven't made an error in the sequence somewhere?  As this, to me, sounds more like what the issue could possibly be.

If you are attempting to use 1000K ONLY Pixie controllers and Pixcon16 controllers can be on that NW. No other type of controller can be ran at that speed and even though physically you can connect them DO NOT, they will not comm properly and cause problems such as what you are describing.

What my other friends above have stated are also true.

Go into the HU and search for the controller(s) that are problematic (pixie16)

Once found go to the bottom of the page "Configuration"

On the next pop up screen go to the bottom of page and select "Cosmic Color Ribbon/ Pixie Configurtion" button

If the next pop up screen is narrow and wide there will be a "Advance" right below it , if so select it

You want the large square screen that will show all 16 ports and other settings.

Ensure the Pixel Type is correct, probably WS2811 80khtz

Ensure you have the correct number of pixels selected

Ensure that the Logical Resolution is 50  - do not change that. Keep it at 50.

Ensure the pixel color order is correct. This is where you may have to test to get them correct.

Feel free to post the answers to those figures or PM me a number and I can text you from that. If need be I can call you but we will text first.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I know JR stated the pixel type as WS2811 {which is correct, and most common for smart pixels}, but I pretty sure he made a typo on the 80khtz part, missing the additional zero, that should be 800khtz.  That's what my pixels on my Pixie16 are set at, WS2811 800khtz.  As far as I can recall, there isn't any 80khtz setting in the Pixie16 drop down configuration list.

Just in case you tried to find that rating and couldn't.

Sometimes we type too fast for our own good and even miss a typo here and there.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have separated all of the boxes out to their own networks and the Pixie 16 was still giving me the same issues. So I had another Pixie 8 box, so I decided to use it, in its own network,  and to take the 8 strings that were giving me issues off of the Pixie 16, and only let it control my Mega Tree with 8 100 pixel strings (folded in half so 16 stands of 50 pixels). Now only half of the 8 strings are working, and the other strings do not work. I am really wondering if my pixie boards is bad, but it works in test mode, but not with sequences. I connected the hardware utility to the pixie 16 board, and made sure that the settings were all correct, and I even changed it back to 100 pixels per port, as I did have it set to 170 and it still did not work. If it is in the sequences, I am not seeing where it would be, and I have gone through everything on it.

I think I am going to open a support ticket also to see if they have any suggestions.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,  

What are the assigned unit ID for that Pixie and the Unit IDs for the strings on it in your Preview?  I'm wondering if you miss counted the IDs.  Remember that Unit IDs count in Hex - NOT decimal.  So, if the assigned ID of a Pixie 16 is 10, that means the 16 ports will be Unit IDs:  10,  11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E,  & 1F.  If you assigned the strings in decimal, the 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, & 1F strings would not light.

@k6ccc, Thank You!! This was the issue. The Pixie 16 was unit ID 40, and in the sequences I had the ports starting at 41 for it. I changed this and it is working now. Most of the time, it is the small stuff that you need others to see for you, that you do not see when you are looking at it.