Light-O-Rama Forums

how can I make the silicone sheath waterproof, after I've cut it to make the welds????

Pioerpaolo

Hi guys, help me. I'm really in bad shape.

Sorry, but I can't find where to post the topic.

I'm really in bad shape. I have the 50x16 tree, made with led strips, with silicone sheath to make it waterproof. Now, some of these streaks have come off at the welds on the inside. So far not bad, I can do them. What I ask you, who have more experience than me, how can I make the silicone sheath waterproof, after I've cut it to make the welds????

Some combination of silicon sealant, heat shrink tubing.  Below is one of my strips.  The cable in this case is supplying power to the end of this strip.  The open end of the strip was filled with silicon sealer, then covered with heat shrink tubing.  Multiple layers that overlap is good.  The heat shrink with the goo inside is better.  If my photos does not show, there is a link to it.

Planter_strip_backfeed.jpg

http://www.newburghlights.org/photos/Planter_strip_backfeed.jpg

The concept is the same - silicone and heat shrink.  You just have less space to work with without blocking LEDs.

How did they come apart?    The strips are not self supporting so must be attached in some way like cable ties to a stiff surface.  

I'm guessing that the OP severed the entire tube to make repairs instead of just the front. He'll have to somehow seal the backside too if that was the case. Silicone II does a good job. This morning I have to repair one myself on my 24x50 matrix that suddenly decided on its own to flake out. I'm going to try a new product that I purchased in hopes that it'll work. If it does, I'll be sure to post the pictures and thoughts. It might be too cold outside here today though for it to work properly though.

Yes, I cut everything, both the strip and the tube, then I welded the strip again, then I put the heat shrink tubing, inside the tubing, both front and back, I almost filled it with fast drying silicone for 2h. I hope it holds.

8 ore fa, dgrant ha scritto:

Il 18/11/2022 alle 23:28, ItsMeBobO ha detto:

Come si sono staccati? Le strisce non sono autoportanti, quindi devono essere fissate in qualche modo come fascette per cavi a una superficie rigida.  

per quanto riguarda il modo in cui sono montati, li ho fissati al condotto dell'elettricista da 16 mm. di diametro, mettendo i morsetti uno ogni 15/25 cm., si rompevano sulle saldature, si spezzavano. Penso che uno dei motivi possa essere stato che ho lasciato l'albero allestito all'aperto tutto l'anno, coperto con telo ombreggiante 3/4 volte, forse il peso e il caldo freddo hanno aiutato le saldature a rompersi??? Quale altro motivo può esserci?? Li uso da 4 anni e ogni anno qualcuno ha sempre fatto i capricci. Solo che gli altri anni ne avevo di scorta e ho fatto la sostituzione per renderla più veloce, quest'anno non ne avevo e ho dovuto lavorarci sopra.

Edited by Pioerpaolo

Utilizzo di un programma di traduzione, prima volta! Lasciare le strisce all'esterno non è davvero una buona idea. Come qualsiasi cosa, penso che diventerebbero fragili alla luce del sole. Tutto ciò che faccio a casa mia per la mia sfilata, disegno in modo tale che tutto si spezzi per una facile conservazione. Ora, se solo avessi un posto dove mettere tutto. lol.

It's true and I knew that. In fact, I wrapped the strips with 4 rounds of shade cloth that retain 80% of the sun's rays, but not only that, the LED strips were facing the wall, so as not to directly catch those few passing sunlight. Leave it mounted that way, unfortunately, I have to do it, because it takes me 2 days to mount it, including: ducts, star, cables, clamping the LED strips and all the rest. I'm alone in assembling everything, my wife is only there on the weekend, and I take it out a long time before, here in my city in central Italy it's sunny, so as you say at risk of yellowing. In the garden where I mount it, it's sunny until 12, where it must be mounted from 12 onwards, so I would risk having to replace them all within a few years. Also put in the dust that sticks with the rain and the liquid from the soap bubbles, it becomes a nice mix. If it holds up to the work I've done, I'll continue like this, but the idea is to change to bulbous chains which are more resistant. I just have several situations to solve in order to change. Next year they'll make me the coat at the building, so I won't be able to drill the facade at will anymore, except during the construction phase, where they can put specific coverings where they can drill, so I'd have to design it now, otherwise it would become impossible. Second thing, where I have to install it from the street level are 3 floors of the building, where it is not possible to access them with a crane, so it also becomes impossible to go there to mess with the chains to put them in order. We'll see what to do. Thank you anyway, you are always full of advice and without you it would always be a little more difficult for me, given that here in Italy there are still only a few of us who have this hobby, so with little experience for all that it entails. Heartfelt thanks to everyone

We all here are more than happy to try to assist. Post some pictures when you get a chance please as it might help us here too!

I think you meant "our" but that's cool. Seriously, none of us are perfect and each of our shows have their issues and improvements we know we can make. All it takes is money! lol, if only we each had tons of that. My show will hopefully begin on Thursday night here. For us, its a holiday, Thanksgiving which everyone in Italy probably has never heard of, but that's ok. Its a good day for families to get together. I'm sure your show will be just fine.