Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone seen World of Illumination?

ItsMeBobO

• The title was changed to Anyone seen World of Illumination?
  • 4 weeks later...

We went to see the World of Illumination tonight.     So so so many pixels.   A bunch of tunnels.  I really appreciated the many many controllers and wires and setup which was done.   Amazing that the entire stage seemed to all be playing on the same show player with all the props on the same patterns.  

Has no one else heard of this gig?   I have no idea who but surely the partners are people we know    It was very large in its number of props and square footage.  Bigger than any park show I have been to in the past. 

But now for the down side.  There was very little Christmasy to be found.   Seems like 80% was alien theme.  Lots of space ships and flying saucers.  Even the reindeer had jet packs to blend with the alien theme.  Notably secular with nothing close to a religious moment.   We did see one live person in a Santa suit among the radar dishes, flying saucers, and stars who looked out of place.  He didnt have toys, gifts, sleds, elves, candy canes, toy soldiers, igloos snowmen, wise men, penguins or anything around him at all which looked like a Christmas scene.     I was very disappointed with the sequencing.   95% color swipes back and forth.   The several drive thru tunnels were magnificent structures which gave me envy!    However the sequences did ZERO movement from end to end.    The patterns were not interesting or varied and a lot of the same stuff.    60 alien heads with white and green stripes moving right and left was amazing for  1 2 3 seconds and immediately transitioned into boring.  This was definitely not Fremont street in LV.  The sequences only loosely followed the beat like the audience swaying lifted arms at a concert, meaning holes and off beats without definition.  Nothing sharp or precisely timed, nothing related to pitch or note.  It was a mangle of similar chase effects of lines, spirals, spins,  across all the props.  Only a few times did I notice a prop which was not doing what all the other props were doing.   Another thing which was disappointing was there were no surprises.   The path was zig zag so you could see the next row coming and the last row you just drove all the time.   

I would give it 3.5 stars for hardware setup effort and volume of props.      By the way the price tonight was lowered to $35 a car load.   Event was poorly attended while I was there.  I am glad we went and the kids said it was fun to drive thru the tunnels with radio blasting. 

Perhaps they watched the speed sequencing how to video. Whole house effects are COOL............ for a few secconds.

• Haha 1

I hadn't heard of it so thanks for explaining in detail. So sorry it wasn't very christmasy, I too would have been disappointed. Speaking of not Christmasy, someone please explain why penguins are included. They are native to the South Pole, not the North Pole. Did Santa get outsourced to the South Pole and I missed it? :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

Whole house effects are COOL............ for a few secconds.

AMEN!

I have one - in one song and it lasts under 3 seconds.  That's about the right amount for an hour show....

Just my opinion...