Light-O-Rama Forums

Smart Pixels

Larry Johnson

Hello, hope someone can help. I am new to smart pixels and motion rows, but not to LOR AC controllers. I am running version 5 pro. I have 5 AC controllers(some 10years + old)I tried to add a Pixy4 and CCR II to the network both with motion effect rows.

I changed the network to enhanced and the 2 smart controllers run fine, but not any of the AC controllers. I changed network again to regular, and a warning appears saying I need to remove the motion rows. So I do and the AC controllers run ok but nothing on the smart controllers. How can I use both on one network? I dont want to run another network cable outside.

Thanks

Larry

You state that you run 5 ac controllers for 10+ years. If your ac controllers are older and not the newer G3 then they won't be able to run on a high speed enhanced network. You will need to run a second network for those slower controllers.

• Like 1

Ok Thanks guys, my boards are quite old.

Ok stupid question here, 2 networks means to cat5 cables form the PC correct?

30 minutes ago, Larry Johnson said:

Ok Thanks guys, my boards are quite old.

Ok stupid question here, 2 networks means to cat5 cables form the PC correct?

Yep! and a HS (formerly Red) adapter. Your AC controllers can only do 115K

Pixies need 500K  (and a good chance, enhanced mode)

• Like 1

If you have a concern about the number of cables running outside (maybe they're going through a small drain hole in a window?), you may be interested to know that a cat5 cable has 4 pairs of wires, and that a LOR network uses only 2 pairs. Therefore, it is technically possible to wire both networks through a single cat5 cable. You would have to build your own splitters that you would attach at each end.

I'm not recommending this, I'm just saying it could be done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven said:

and that a LOR network uses only 2 pairs.

Actually the LOR network only uses one pair.  The second pair is power for directors, ELLs, and a couple other things that can be powered from that second pair.  If you are doing any of that, only one pair is needed for a LOR network.

• Like 1