Light-O-Rama Forums

Can I use any RS-485 USB Adapter

NateCoolidge

Can someone tell me if the below will theoretically work to hook up my controller? I read another post here saying a generic adapter should work fine. Just want to make sure I won't break anything by trying. As in, will connecting the wrong adapter risk damaging the electronics.

It costs me $80 due to shipping for me to get the LOR branded adapter. I'm seeing if an alternative would work.

https://a.co/d/5fCOI3m

No, you are not likely to damage anything, but as Phil said, it may not work.

You list your location as "Ontario".  Do you mean Ontario in Canada, California, or somewhere else?  A better location description can be helpful.  In this case, I am just a few miles from Ontario in California, and have a spare if you are desperate.  Also please put your software version a d license level in your forum profile.  Those two pieces of information are needed in order to answer many software related questions (i.e. the answer differs depending on those two).

And welcome to the forum!

Edited by k6ccc

It may work, but will need to make a jumper cable to change the pin outs. The LOR network has D+/D- on pins 4 & 5, and signal ground on pin 6. The adapter you linked to probably uses different pins. The DMX standard uses D+/D- on pins 1 & 2, and signal ground on pin 7.

Edited by Steven

4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

No, you are not likely to damage anything, but as Phil said, it may not work.

You list your location as "Ontario".  Do you mean Ontario in Canada, California, or somewhere else?  A better location description can be helpful.  In this case, I am just a few miles from Ontario in California, and have a spare if you are desperate.  Also please put your software version a d license level in your forum profile.  Those two pieces of information are needed in order to answer many software related questions (i.e. the answer differs depending on those two).

And welcome to the forum!

I'm from Canada. Thanks for the offer though! Brand new to this. I found a guy who had had a controller for sale near my area. Unfortunately he didn't have a spare usb module. I haven't purchased the software yet. He said I could use the LOR software or Xlights. Probably will end up going with LOR though. My only bottleneck is this module and the shipping to Canada costs just as much as the module itself. That's why I'm looking for alternatives.

@Nate This is the (Customs) 'Brokers fee' that is driving up shipping worse than actual Ground Shipping cost?

It used to be, Shipping by 'Air', included Customs clearance.

You might inquire if using US MAIL (to ship), gets held for 'duties'  at your end.

(Ducks used to work at a US branch of a major telco employer homed in Ottawa)